Author Topic: Seaweed  (Read 1185 times)

Trevor Holloway

• Quarter Acre
Seaweed
« on: July 26, 2006, 08:51:30 »
We are off to the seaside on Saturday and have heard that seaweed is good on the plot.

Shall I just send the kids off to gather some dried seaweed and what do I use it on ?

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Seaweed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 09:14:10 »
Mmm, your car will smell nice, especially in this weather

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 09:45:36 »
Grab as many bin-bags as you can lay hands on!!

http://seaweedfertiliser.quickseek.com/

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 10:23:04 »
It's fantastic stuff. We used it dug in for spuds and toms and make liquid feed by leaving some to rot in a barrel of water.
Great as a general compost I believe.
This is the first time we've used it as we live miles from the beach and only collected a small amount, so had to be selective on where to use it

A word of warning though!!!....I don't think it can be collected from National Trust  beaches which is where I collected ours :o ::) (only found out about it after the event though!!!)

Happy hunting!! ;)

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:29 »
I have used dried seaweed from the organic catalogue for 2 years and have found it to be a good growth stimulant. I heard that in Jersey they use it on the new pots, so when I planted the potatoes, I dug out a trench and put in wet straw (cos of very dry free-draining soil), and then a bit of soil and a sprinkling of seaweed and then a little sprinkle of soil and then the spud and then the rest of the soil. We have had the best potato year for 3 years...

sb

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 13:47:30 »
Put on your asparagus as a mulch, they are very partial to it at this time of year ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal