Author Topic: RSM - be on your guard!  (Read 2142 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
RSM - be on your guard!
« on: July 23, 2006, 12:09:32 »
On cus, at least - watch out for the first signs.

First, the first signs. Then the mites themselves - you can just see them at the leaf/stem joint.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: RSM - be on your guard!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 22:38:22 »
And just to be a predictable reply, I noticed mine had come back with a vengeance last weekend. Predator people are overloaded at the moment and I didn't get a dose of them till Thursday despite ringing 9am Monday.

Blasted things. They'd got onto the aubs as well. They eat patches on those. And they also like stephanotis, which is a real pest as I'd just got mine to flower again  :(

Hey ho. Best of luck!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:12:34 »
Forgot to say that the reason the mites in the photo aren't moving is that I sprayed with Defenders' Eradicoat. It's been too cold at night for predators.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:13:46 »
How good is Eradicoat please? I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I guess it's a good way of catching minor infestations organically.

My minimum temp in the conservatory is about 18-19oC which does mean the predators are more or less warm enough. They definitely are in the daytime! (temps can get up to 40oC, though only when Sir forgets to open the inner door...)

Wish I knew why the previous owners went for a conservatory with no small windows. The only ones we can open are large enough to let someone get in (assuming they don't mind climbing through a cucumber and a dozen chillies!) and with them shut for security, ventilation is dreadful. Still, humidity gets pretty high (which the plants and predators love).

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 12:16:40 »
Eradicoat? Not fully proven here, but it seems to have done its stuff on the first try.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 06:49:17 »
Second thoughts!

Shame about my eyesight - I think they've taken over, & it's a long wait for predators, by which time it will again be too cold for them at night!!

I believe that Eradicoat would be fine if you were not dealing with such a jungle.
But my second sowing is coming on fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal