Author Topic: Drought buster  (Read 2443 times)

Little Bean

• Not So New ...
  • Too many vegetables, not enough time!
Drought buster
« on: July 28, 2006, 18:24:06 »
This device has been in the press a lot recently.

http://www.droughtbuster.co.uk/

It makes it easier to use your bathwater to water the garden. 

No trailing up and downstairs with a full watering can.

I haven't got one but am seriously considering it   :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Drought buster
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 18:42:22 »
Looks like one of those simple but effective gadgets don't it?
Love your moniker little bean :)

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 22:50:10 »
Looks ok apart from the price (yep scrooge is my middle name! lol)

I'd be interested in a closer look if anyone has one.............could probably make it for a couple of quid and a piece or 2 from a plumbing supply shop!
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 00:53:43 »
If you want to go down that route, stick a garden hose in your bath tub, nip down to your garden, stick the other end of the garden hose in your mouth and suck. :P

I used to use that system when I nicked petrol :o no, no I didn't, just trying to be funny ;D

rfletcher

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 01:06:18 »
Having once got a mouthful of petrol I wouldn't recommend it. Bathwater is pribably a lot less harmful but I suspect the longer the distance from the bath the harder you have to suck

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 10:42:07 »
so long as the waterlevel at the  end is lower than the ateerlevel in the bath, you should be able to simply siphon without suckage required. simply make sure your hose is filled with water to start with, by submerging it fully, before then taking one end to the garden, and let the water run.
this system works even if the water has to travel uphill for a bit, so long as the end is below the starting point.

if you know what i mean
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 18:50:20 »
I've got one, they are a little pricey, but very good for the enviroment and in the long term, your own pocket!
You could make one yourself, the cheapest that I've actually found the pump part is £13.99, so add the clips, hose and hose fitting, and I think it's probably not worth it :P

I've since bought some for friens and family, and they all love them
Kathi :-)

dave

• Not So New ...
  • born-again peasant
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 16:38:13 »
If you have an outside tap, connect your hose, take the other end up to the bath and stick it in the water

then turn on the downstairs tap and wait for water to enter the bath (no more big bubbles)

you now just turn off the tap and remove the hose end from it

all your bathwater will now fall out of the bath, down the hose and wherever you want it to go

I used to empty an aquarium like this; better than baling out

you probably need to weight down the end of the hose in the bath, unless you have an assistant, with a high boredom threshold, to keep the end submerged

cheers

dave

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 20:07:20 »
dave, that describes a clever way of what i was saying what with the filled pipe and the draining. very clever!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 20:37:47 »
I have sorted out an easy way to get bath water into the waterbutt, I brought a hand syphon from our local car repair place, costing £1.95 and have attatched it to a length of pipe that goes out of my bathroom window and into the waterbutt - dunk the syphon into the bath and give it a few pumps, job done, 2 baths = 1 butt full. My hubby has managed to attach a hose onto one of the butts by heating the end of the hose to make it flexible pushing it over the tap and then securing it with a jubilee clip. I know what would happen if I tried to get directly from bath to veg - there would be a lot of shouting and swearing and the carpet would get soaked!

Helen

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal