Author Topic: Tomatoes - What have I done to them?  (Read 2336 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Tomatoes - What have I done to them?
« on: July 20, 2006, 20:41:34 »
Please help!!   Many of my tomatoes are like these shown below.  Does anyone know if it is a disease or the result of too much or too little watering and the scorching sun?  These are Costoluto Fiorentino.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
Re: Tomatoes - What have I done to them?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 20:44:38 »
eeuuuuww!
hells teeth pauline..i dunno what it is but i'm pleased ours havent got it...
best of luck with it.....
someone will know..
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 20:50:08 »
Looks like erratic watering to me

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 20:52:51 »
Having consulted a book it looks as tho it may be caused by heavy watering after the soil has been allowed to dry out.  The sudden growth causes the skin to split.  To stop it from happening the roots need to be kept evenly moist

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 21:26:09 »
OMG Pauline :o  :'(
I think you were very brave to pick them :-X
Can't think what would cause anything like this, never seen it before ...
but deepest sympathy! :-\

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 21:47:11 »
Oh Pauline!! How disappointing for you.  I hope you have some others that turn out much better.  Commiserations from me too! :o busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 21:57:55 »
If the fruit are open to direct sunlight you can find the skin sets and the fruit can't then grow. One heavy watering and they split. It's one reason to shade your tomatoes.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 22:55:52 »
If the fruit are open to direct sunlight you can find the skin sets and the fruit can't then grow. One heavy watering and they split. It's one reason to shade your tomatoes.

I haven't shaded my outdoor tomatoes and although those in the greenhouse were covered with fleece during hot weather when the plants were small, I haven't managed to get any shading up in the greenhouse.   :P :-[ 
The aubergines are thriving in it though!! ;D  ;D

Having consulted a book it looks as tho it may be caused by heavy watering after the soil has been allowed to dry out.  The sudden growth causes the skin to split.  To stop it from happening the roots need to be kept evenly moist
Looks like erratic watering to me

Thank you for your replies.  The tomatoes photographed were from a plant in a pot in the greenhouse.  There are other fruits on the same plant and although small, they look OK so I didn't think it was likely to be a disease or they would probably have been affected the same way. 

I also have some other Costoluto Fiorentino tomatoes growing outside, also in pots but against the fence in one of the vegetable beds.  These too have some tomatoes that are looking like those in the photo.  Fortunately I went mad with my sowing and have quite a few plants so should still get some good ones.   :D 

Erratic watering and scorching seems to be the general opinion with what is wrong with them and this is probably why it is only those in pots that are affected as they are drying out too quickly.  However, they do look as if they have a type of rust on them. 

It only seems to be the Costoluto Fiorentino that are producing these abnormal fruits but then they are a beefsteak variety.   Has anyone else had problems with this variety?

I would like to thank you all for your commiserations but be assured I have got five other varieties that seem to be going along all right.   ;D

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 00:24:00 »
I've never seen toms looking like yours, my Costoluto Florantino are looking good, apart from the misshape, I think that one grew from the wierd double flower!

Fingers crossed for the rest of your crop.

Tinkie_Bear
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 00:26:37 by Tinkie_Bear »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 07:06:22 »
Pauline, it's so wierd I'm convinced this can't be your fault - must be a sport ::) ;)
Tinkie - lovely!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 07:47:38 »
Is that a false colour or have they got blight as well?
 ???

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:17:22 »
Is that a false colour or have they got blight as well?
 ???

That is the colour Saddad.  I wondered if it was blight but then wouldn't all the tomatoes on the same plant be affected?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 12:51:05 »
 :o

Oh Pauline, how awful for you, I am growing CF for the first time this year. They look ok, but a few have slight brown patches on the bottom, nothing like yours. Glad you have some other toms to console yourself with.

;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 12:53:41 »
Hey pauline, on the upside you could enter them for Ugly Veg competititon (National Trust)? :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal