Author Topic: Mushrooms anyone?  (Read 2053 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Mushrooms anyone?
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:15:43 »
Has anyone tried the kits that are available?

Was just wondering if they were any good or not?

Thanks

Gary

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Re: Mushrooms anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:25:31 »
I got one 2 weeks ago from woolies, cost £2.99 thought I have to try for that price!  So far nothing despite following the instructions, I think in a few days I should have mushrooms the size of pin heads - according the the instructions.  I live in hope!

Helen

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 19:28:47 »
I tried too but didn't get anything but was listening to something on the radio and mushroom time for us is spring.

wellingtons

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 21:55:17 »
I've tried a few times and no flipping luck whatsoever, although I got mushrooms on my front lawn, not sure they're edible though.  My try em on my soon to be ex husband ... "mushroom omelette dear?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 22:37:06 »
Be careful, he might end up like the emperor Claudius.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 22:43:06 »
I grew some from a kit years ago, it was quite successful

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 11:07:48 »
I've had great success with them in the past although seldom as good as on the pictures! I've used the self-contained complete kits (& you even get a bit of compost for the garden afterwards!) and also the Oyster Mushroom ones off the internet (less successful, but enough for a couple of meals).

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:24:36 »
We had 3 mushrooms from our kit. Just 3. Wow-ee. We have been looking at getting logs though. How about growing oyster mushrooms on loo-roll.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 08:37:33 »
Daughter bought us a log for Christmas, not one mushroom despite making sure it was kept moist this summer. On Gardeners Question Time they have had some logs for  years and got a couple of mushrooms for the first time this year!

Have tried the kits with different levels of success fro each one

Lazy Daisy

• Quarter Acre
  • Where's the sun gone
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 15:40:26 »
Had Oyster and Shitake logs in the garden for two years. Had one or two of them but nothing to write home about. Have just started Cheshnut and Shitake kits in my cellar. Got them off the internet. Can't wait to see if I am successful or not.
Enthusiastic Amateur, hopefully quick learner

cranbornekat

• It wasn't me!!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 15:47:51 »
I've got one on the go at the moment without much luck. Only 5 mushrooms so far but lots of little black flies :(

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 16:58:23 »
I think the key is to make sure the instructions are well follwed.. I've grown both button and oyster mushrooms quite successfully. I also have oyster and shitake mushroom logs but no fruit as yet!

Truff
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 18:18:11 »
I grew some successfully years ago but tried one last year & got nothing then tried again with a half price one from Woolies & still nothing - I shall give up.  Did read that someone on this site had got some 'spent' mushroom compost & it grew loads so might look out for that.

buxton diggers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 20:35:42 »
I got one from Focus, £4.99, followed the instructions carefully: nothing happened. Abandoned it in the porch (after it was a week late according to the instructions), ignored it whilst away for a week and just came back to the most AMAZING crop of mushrooms! Have never tasted mushrooms like them! There's another crop coming up underneath this one too!

dgillings

• Quarter Acre
  • Harry with his favourite chocolate friend.
    • The Organic Allotment
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 18:26:14 »
were they the Chestnut Mushrooms? I am having limited luck with mine too - just a couple of really small buds showing through now - but 2 or 3 weeks later than expected...
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  ~Author Unknown

The Organic Allotment
http://theorganicallotment.blogspot.com/

buxton diggers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 14:31:28 »
I think they were the chestnut ones: the bog-standard Focus ones anyway. The second crop don't seem to be coming on any further than buds. I'll ignore them and see what happens: seems to be the best policy...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 14:33:42 »
I've never had any luck with 'em either. Although fungus seems to do quite well inside my fridge with absolutely no tending whatsoever  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 14:54:04 »
I grew some many years ago and they all had tiny little maggots in them. Put me off growing them again.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal