Author Topic: which strawberries?  (Read 5095 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
which strawberries?
« on: July 19, 2006, 16:06:05 »
I'm thinking of planting a proper strawberry bed for next year and wondered if anyone has any advice re varieties?

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: which strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 16:24:29 »
Me too! At the moment, all I'm growing  is Elsanta. Which ones have the best flavour? Has anyone tried  'Gariguette' or 'Cambridge late pine'?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 17:08:13 »
i would be interested in this info aswell as i am planning a bed too.  is it best to have two or three varieties for succession? and where is the best place to get plants? and how many would you need for a decent crop?  questions questions.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 18:41:30 »
I'm going to add a question as well. What's the latest you can plant by as mine site for my strawberry bed is like concrete at the moment....can't remeber the last fall of real rain.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 19:31:56 »
I grow Royal Sovereign which I have had for over 30 years.  Taking runners every third year.  IMO they are the best tasting strawberries.  They are also prolific.  If your plants are in pots and you keep them watered you should be able to keep them growing and plant them out quite late in the year depending what sort of weather we have in September.  Best of luck.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 20:15:05 »
I don't grow them but my plot neighbour grows Marshmello and I am getting sorely tempted... makes the supermarket and pick your own's Elsanta taste like sour cardboard.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 23:04:49 »
Best time to put strawbs in is in the early autumn in my opinion, they get a chance to root well before the winter sets in and also you should get a small crop the following summer. I like Maxim, which seems vigorous and has large berries and upright stems and foliage. Mind you, mine don't grow as large as some pics I saw recently from TeeGee, but they're large enough, and taste good for such a large berry.

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 01:59:31 »
I've planted Alice which are early and Florence which crop later. I can reccomend both if you like your strawberries juicy and sweet. I was never a fan of strawberries, but I was instantly converted after tasting my first home grown strawberry  ;D

Vaca

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:23:06 »
i grow hapil which are a medium size berry with an intense flavour. i have tried an experiment this year when i planted my permanent bed. i took flowers of half the strawberries and left the other half on. apparently i will get a bumper crop of the ones i de-flowered. we shal  have to wait and see
takes over your life doesn't it

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 14:22:28 »
In Grow Your Own magazine Bob Flowerdew recommends Maxim, Gariguette and Marshmello.
I'd love to grow them but where can I find them?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 15:14:59 »

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 15:24:55 »
I would very definately recommend Marshmello, beautiful taste, large strawberries and prolific with a long cropping period.  they are only available from Marshall's.
It'll be better next year

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 16:06:17 »
Thanks! I can't wait to grow them! ;D

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 16:44:52 »
We have Mae and Marshmello, both from Marshalls, and have been more than impressed with the flavours. This year we have planted Gariguette but they have not been allowed to fruit as it's their first year...looking forward to comparing them! :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 17:25:02 »
İ have Maxim which has grown this last year in a large tub and got a better crop than İ expected, the fruit was definitely large, and this coming year they are going into a permanent bed ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 14:47:04 »
I bought some certified Gariguette plants back from France this year, and they are the best fruits ever! Quite long and pointy, but fab flavour. I'm planting up the runners as fast as I can to increase my stock now.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 15:03:44 »
I've been growing Chelsea Pensioner (a pretty new Ken Muir variety -- he really is the Strawb Supremo!) -- great tasting fruit, mix of medium and large size, good yield. That was cropping back at the start of June.

Now I need a late-fruiting variety to pull the season out!

And yes, for Sarah: you do really want more than one variety as most only crop for a few weeks. I have an 8 x 4 strawb bed, planted out with nearly 50 plants (all grown from 12 plants bought early last spring from Ken Muir). From that I had about 9 lb of strawbs, which I was happy with!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 07:38:22 »

And yes, for Sarah: you do really want more than one variety as most only crop for a few weeks. I have an 8 x 4 strawb bed, planted out with nearly 50 plants (all grown from 12 plants bought early last spring from Ken Muir). From that I had about 9 lb of strawbs, which I was happy with!

thanks for that info triffid.
so many varieties to choose from.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 07:58:51 »
Hi grawc, hi all  :)

I see that other contributors can name varieties, I don`t know what mine are except that I have two, so here`s my two-pennies worth - I`ve harvested loads of strawbs this year but I wished I`d been wiser with the spacing of the plants so its easier to get among them. You might want to allow extra space for this at the outset as it will make your life easier later. Also think about netting and put in supports when you plant. Get beer traps for slugs, and think about a source of straw asap. If part of your bed is partially shaded it will hold your crop back a week or two and spread out your harvesting time. As written earlier, plant in the autumn and don`t worry if the plants look dead for a while. So you have lots of time to prepare.
Start saving jars for all the jam you will make.

Enjoy, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 22:06:06 »
I've now ordered Maxim, Gariguette, Marshmello and a load of manure! ;) Thanks for all the advice. :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal