Author Topic: Allotment flowers  (Read 1666 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Allotment flowers
« on: July 10, 2006, 23:31:09 »
For a change, some flowers from my allotment!

My sunflower - over 6 foot tall, and still a long way from opening!

Yellow osteosperman which have seeded themselves in my flower patch.  I shall be taking cuttings and overwintering this baby for home!

A leek or hunion which grew so close to the edge that I leave it there and every year it flowers and the bees love it!

Globe artichokes are getting huge now.  I really should eat some before they open!

Cardoon is now way over 8 foot tall and very statuesque.

Thrilled with the cosmos - have a vase full in the lounge now.

And finally, I have a patch of clarkia.  I put an area over to flowers because nothing would grow there thanks to a row of plum trees and the vole family.  The plum trees have now gone, so next year I will grow veggies there again!  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Allotment flowers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 06:52:49 »
Gorgeous flowers E-J :)
Can't believe you've been able to keep your paws off them artichokes this long :o
Very envious - my plants are still seedlings or one year transplants, but there will be more than 70 of the little darlings so feasts to follow, schluppety schlupp :P ;D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 22:13:24 »
really inspiring - thanks Ej
 ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 18:42:44 »
Oooh lovely EJ. 

I'm so excited to see your pic of your cardoon...I was given one a couple of weeks ago. I had to hastily clear a patch of ground for it and bung it in. Thought it had dries out too much and had croaked but, hurrah, it's growing!

I have three "Emerald" artichokes that I grew from seed this year. They seem to be doing alright so far. Haven't a clue what to do with them to be honest,just fancied growing them  :)

That cosmos is a smasher. Do they keep well in a vase? Would like to grow some next year I think.

I love the clarkia too. Never heard of it before.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 20:29:24 »
That is it, i will make a flowerbed next year.E.j. you made my grey cells work.

jellywelly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:48:31 »
that Comos is stunning, do you know what variety it is?  I've got a cosmos chocamocha waiting to be planted out in the garden that I got from the local WI market, it's lovely and delicate.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 14:22:25 »
No idea Jellywelly, it was just a packed of mixed cosmos seeds from the Alan Roman website.  I also have loads of plants at home dotted around the borders.  A must for next year!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal