Author Topic: virus and spyware removal  (Read 4873 times)

iggy

• Quarter Acre
virus and spyware removal
« on: July 18, 2006, 01:34:28 »
hello all
just thought i should share some usefull tools for dealing with the baddies that we all inevitably pick up from time to time on the net.
I do a hell of a lot of PC repairs for clients family and friends and the dreaded friends of friends
anyhow some simple and easy to use tools some you may have herd of others may not so ill give a brief description of each and there ease of use without using to much PC jargon. ???

So lets start with the most fundermental piece of computer protection a firewall.
some that run windows xp proffessional or home may just have the xp built in firewall running.
This is not good enough and you really need to get something with a little more poke to it.
Many people think firewalls are either expensive or hard to use well stand corrected ;D
stay away from norton and mcaffee if you can as these firewalls are not only 99% targeted by hackers etc they are also system resource hogs!
zonelarm is a totally free firewall that is among one of the best, easy to use and easy to set up
you can download it directly from here http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html
on the designers website there is a very good tutorial to learn all the functions of zonelarm.
which is here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/tutorial/1.jsp

Next up we have another vital piece of software in the arsenal against hackers and viruses, this is called antivirus software.

Again i see so many people that could have avoided loosing so much data if they had installed an antivirus programme.
I would like to note here that you should never have more than one antivirus software running on your machine at the same time as this can cause terrible problems.
Again avoid norton and macaffe like the plague ( you may have guessed i dont like these by now i have seen to many peoples machines cripped by this bloatware )

For a very good antivirus I would recommend AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
This is a brilliant antivirus stops most things in its tracks however like all antiviruses its not 100% but its one of the better ones out there
extremely easy to use with almost daily antivirus database updates(it updates itself automatically so you dont have to remember).
once you have installed the programme update it immediately.
on your taskbar where the little clock is you will see an icon that is a square with 4 different colour quarters (yellow black green and blue) this is the easiest way to access your newly installed antivirus software. if that box goes grey it means your antivirus database is out of date and needs to update itself so if you are not connected to the net allot its an good idea too do this weekly.
clicking on the square avg icon it brings up a easy to use control panel from there you can access all its functions including email scanner for those that use outlook for your mail client.
you can select to scan any part or the whole of the PC from withing the various sub menus that are available.

To scan an individual file on your computer say a zip file you have downloaded from the net, just right click on the file and select the scan with avg option that will be listed.
this is a good habit to get into as it stops allot of nasties getting onto your system from downloaded files *always scan before you open*.

now in conjunction with this ewido is the perfect partner http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ (aha i hear you cry earlier you said not to run to antiviruses together) well you are right ewedo is usefull as what is referred to as an on demand scanner and as a backup scanner in case it all goes wrong and you do get a real nasty on your PC.
download and install the ewido package and immediately update it.
when you install do not install the ewedo guard as its a little to effective!
there is an option to turn ewido off at startup select this also.
again it is a very simple to use menu system to preform a variety of tasks.
remember to update this about once every couple of weeks.
again as this is an on demand scanner if you want a secon opinion on a file you ahve donloaded or just wish to preform a secondary scan of your PC this is ideal
you can select the single file scan the say wasy as you do with avg.

ok so now we have the ability to stop people getting into your PC and to stop it leaking information about you out.
we can stop and hopefully remove any viruses that come our way. so what else may you be needing on your comp

well some of you may have heard of spyware.

spyware is nasty stuff that can do many things they can track your surfing habits track your keystrokes which means that they can gain masses of information from you and do terrible things get into your emails .ebay accounts etc and even worse bank account for those that do online banking ( not trying to scare anyone here just making you realise what your facing) however with a little good computing skills we can sort it out :)

so what do we need for spyware well firstthings first STOP USEING INTERNET EXPLORER unless you have to some sites will only work on IE 99% now work on other browsers.
this is the one i use and have converted nearly all of my clients to use
http://www.firefox.org.uk/?gclid=CO6lybn9mYYCFSidEAodbhU2tA
i seriously recommend it:  ;D loads more secure , tabbed browsing , download manager  all so much better than IE and easier to use i think.
ok so thats your new internet browser sorted out.

Now we need something to remove any nasty spyware, there are 3 tools that are by far the best for this again they are all free and all very simple to use reaso n we have 3 like with the antivirus is that none of them is 100% nothing is in life ( the golden rule is to keep them updated)
ok first off we have spybot search and destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
donload and install this excellent programme and update straight away then get a scan going you'll be amazed at what it finds.

next up we have adware http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5
again install and update and set scanning.

then something slightly different
spyware blaster
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
install this one then update if needed once installed open the programme up where it says QUICK TASKS click enable all protection.

you do not need to have them running every time you turn the PC on they are there to protect silently as in spyware blaster and then to remove as in adware and spybot as and when needed.

ok so now we have the 3 basics installed firewall, antivirus and antispyware and hoefully you have installed firefoz as well.
these tips should help make your web surfing a happier and safer experience.

a usefull tool if you wish to know more about your computer such as what bits are in it how hot it runs etc is everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
also handy for finding out what drivers are needed etc.

any other bits anyone would like to see here let me  know and i will elaborate/add as needed

any help needed with any of the programs above just yell and ill be happy to help.

kind regards iggy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:48:15 by iggy »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: virus and spyware removal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:41:30 »
 ;D

Where were you when I got my pc sometime ago?! May be buying a new one soon, will have a go at all these things, thanks!

;)

iggy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:52:29 »
build your own dont buy one  :o
its pretty simple and i can talk you through the whole process.
if you must by a ready made one some simple things to make sure you get
avoid dell!!!!
avoid pc world!
if you by a ready built pc make sure it comes with a proper windows operating system disk and not just a restore disk.
reason being as unless you have the i386 folder on your restore disks it is almost impossiable to mend a hosed windows system so the chances are you will lose alot of data.
this is where backing up is vital i will explain more about that later.
 ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:54:09 by iggy »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:58:38 »
 ???

Hate pc world..but why avoid Dell?

iggy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:03:58 »
90%of the cheaper dells are provided with crappy restore cds and there tech/customer suport is notoriously bad
I had a client that got locked out of his pc by windows with an invalid key error this was on day 1 of owning his first comp he rang me and i went round ended up spending 4 hours on hold getting the problem sorted all they needed to do was add the key at there end but noo every person asked same questions from department to department in the end we finaly got through to a guy and i had to instruct him how to solve the problem which is never good  ::)
also the other reason is dell puts its component list for parts out and always goes with the lowest quality it can get away with. so many break about 6 months ot a year out of warently and nearly always a major hardware fault.
i think in the last month we have replaced hardware on 19 dell units less that 3 years old

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 23:16:35 »
Doesn't Ever Last Long !!!!! Nuff said.

Also for tech help on hardware, software, spyware, adware, hijackers, trojans.....

http://www.geekstogo.com/
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 23:59:06 »
Hi iggy,
          Funny you should bring up viruses,
A friend of mine was just telling me that he had the mother of all viruses
last weekend, and it took him 4days to get rid of it.

When I mentioned that I haven't had one yet , he told me that it was because I
was a boring old f**t, and only went to gardening sites :o

What could I say? ;D ;D ;D

I'm now going to wait until he gets a really nasty one and then tell him , "Oh, I've got something that could have prevented that, but I didn't think that you would listen to GOOD advice that was got on a gardening site. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks ;)
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 09:23:23 »
 ;D

Hi Iggy! Have chatted to geeky mates and they agree with you!  8)

Result? Have done it all, including firefox (love it) so I am now wearing the best protection no money can buy!

Thanks

;)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 22:04:16 »
;) Thanks Iggy ;D I feel a lot safer having downloaded most of those links you recommended and thanks for explaining the reasons behind them. ;D

I have "PC-Guard" anti-virus and firewall plus extras free from Blueyonder and assume that this will give my puter good enough protection so I haven't downloaded "AVG" or "ZONE Alarm" Do you think that "PCGuard" will perform as good? ???

It's great having you on board, it's like having a copper on the allotment ;D

Edited to say... Should I delete "Internet Explorer" now I have "Firefox" ? Plus how do I transfer my favorites list to "Firefox"? Many thanks. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 23:34:08 by Roy Bham UK »

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 09:58:24 »
Roy BhamUK
1. go to File
2.  Import
3. untick boxes except `Favourities`
4. press next
5. Go to Bookmark and notice Created  heading `from Internet Explorer and Select               

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 10:03:33 »
IGGY,
        How  do you create a `WEB site`  using Firefox--Shortcut  to Desktop ( using Icon ) as you do in Internet Explorer --using a right click

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 11:11:49 »
Roy BhamUK
1. go to File
2.  Import
3. untick boxes except `Favourities`
4. press next
5. Go to Bookmark and notice Created  heading `from Internet Explorer and Select               

Thanks for that pntalbot, I have just transfered them now ;)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 20:51:59 »
I have respect for whatever 'Iggy' is trying to convey.

Go for 'Zone Alarm' £27 from 'Amazon', the freebee don't last long.
Full port protection with a brill. virus package.
Worth every penny!

Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 23:02:38 »
I can't recommend Zonealarm too highly; I've been using the free version for years, since the days when only security conscious companies knew about such things. It intercepts so many probes that I have to have the alerts switched off or I'd do nothing else but read them!

It appears you get it free for a while telboy :-\

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 23:25:52 »
I rather like Sygate. It's free and fully functioning for the personal version, though they do require registration every time you re-install (so I ended up putting my email addy in as reinstall@yet.again.com !!)

You can shut down the ports used and filter by IP address, so only folk on an allowed list can see your PC (I find this excellent for stopping unwanted PCs on my network at work from being able to access shared files...)

You need a firewall to stop keyloggers such as this new powerpoint virus that's going round... please, folk, don't open ANY attachment that's powerpoint at the moment. I know a lot of funnies go round with PP presentations, but please be careful. This baby will keylog your machine and send banking/password/creditcard details to whoever.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:47:40 »
I already use 95% of your stuff iggy and (touch wood) haven't had any problems for a long time now.

I have a housekeeping half hour once every so often, where I manually update everything and run scans, but apart from that I live quite securely and happily in my little cyber world.

I wholeheartedly endorse your advice. 

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

iggy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 19:21:31 »
apologies for not being about of late had some mega problems with my little one but all is ok now she is on the mend.
glad some of you found this lot handy :)

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 13:12:59 »
 Iggy,
        `XP Home had to be reloaded recently and this deleted Windows/Outlook address book and My favourites. How do I back these up.
Please don`t say  Start /Accessories/ Address Book/ right click/ Send to `Cd RW drive-- it doesn`t  Backup ??

Peter
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 14:44:43 by pntalbot »

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 13:45:19 »
just to let you now the free progs i have used for over 3 yrs..

Sygate firewall (free)
Spybot Search and destroy
Adaware SE
AVG virus softrware

i also use a programme called Peerguardian 2 on some occasions which block certain ip's from certain companies/groups accesing your pc

iv'e never had any virus or trojan issues over 3 years

iggy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 22:14:42 »
Iggy,
        `XP Home had to be reloaded recently and this deleted Windows/Outlook address book and My favourites. How do I back these up.
Please don`t say  Start /Accessories/ Address Book/ right click/ Send to `Cd RW drive-- it doesn`t  Backup ??

Peter

if you did a full format and reinstall then all the data that was there will have been lost so a backup isnt posiable
however if you have added new contacts etc and wish to back these up for future use click file and then export them to a new folder on the desktop
choose address book (wab)  then you should be able to burn that to cd again to import them back just use the import function

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal