Author Topic: It's tooooo darned hot!  (Read 8577 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: It's tooooo darned hot!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 15:04:14 »
Aw!! Thanks CL and Katy.  Will do!!  8) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 17:04:31 »
Donkey, Lishka? It's the gate for his Spanish estate. Hope he can take in boarders?

100F in London, perhaps. Thank Heaven its only 94F in the Cotswolds. That's at floor level in the greenhouse in total shade.

What's the record for the UK?

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 17:21:31 »
Oh Tim, mention the Cotswolds and I just sigh......CLx

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 17:26:33 »
I am confused sometimes by the weather forecasts - how and where do they get these temperatures from?
The weather forecast at five to one on the wireless today gave a warning of ultra high temperatures of 37 degrees for Wednesday. We've beaten that here today in the Lea Valley, so lord alone knows what it will be on Wednesday. I just think myself lucky I can start work when I please, so its 4.30- 5 am starts for me while this weather lasts.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 17:31:54 »
i will be glad when thursday arrives and the weather breaks. this heat makes me a bit funny in the head. i dont like it one bit.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 17:55:16 »
phewie, blimey it was hot hot hot in the sun working today.  I feel a little spacy now, and the choc ice didn't help at all!  :D Working again tomoz and Wednesday.  Factor 60 and plenty of water.  Thing is, I am going to step aerobic class tonite!  Madness.

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 19:49:05 »
Have just come from the beach at Seatown (Dorset) ran down the beach and straight in !!!  Thewater was lovely, the first time I've felt cool all day!!! .Lovely 8) 8)Barrie took his beachcaster.and caught     12 mackerell, guess what's for dinner

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 21:52:35 »
Do you know what hot is were i work the air temp. is over 60 celsius so i suppose i now what is hot is,But serious now wenn you are working in such a hot surrounding like i do keep drinking i have seen colleaques who were walking just as having a little bit more alcohol than the can cope.They  just dont drink enough.So wenn you go out to your allotment just take something to drink with you./

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 22:45:11 »
I always have 2 large bottles of water with my Ruud, and try to move into the shade for periods of time.  I am going to be outside all week this week, but according to grandad, the weather is going to break around Wednesday/Thursday time, so maybe things will cool down.

Mackerell cookie, one of my fave fish!  Haven't had them for yonks!  First time I had them was when I was a nipper, camping with the folks in North Norfolk and a chap went on one of those sea fishing cruises.  Came back with an icebox full and he didn't know how to clean them, so mum did them all for him, and as payment, he gave her half the catch!  Mackerell supper that night, and they were delicious.  Something so clean and fresh eating freshly caught fish! YUM!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 07:18:04 »
i had the best swim last night just as the sun was setting. the sky was a dusty pink and the sea was a milky blue.  as i was swimming along i bumped into a (spawning?) sea bass.  :o

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2006, 10:46:47 »
Blissful sarah ;D
The last time I swam in the sea was at Wells-next-the-Sea. Have you ever been there?
My chum and I walked a long way then realised we must have hit the skinny dipping area :o I hadn't bought my cossie but it was sooooo hot I thought I'd go for it (only a short run across the beach to the water). Stripped off (chum guarded clothes) and ran all prawny and carefree into the sea :D And ran. And ran. The water was only up to my ankles ??? was about half a mile out before I could cover me modesty! :-[ :-[ :-[
Should be called Wells-nowhere-near-the-Sea imho :P ::)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:51:47 by supersprout »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2006, 10:50:45 »
 :o

Lol, what a good story! I have been to Wells and know exactly what you mean!

;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2006, 11:39:54 »
Blissful sarah ;D
The last time I swam in the sea was at Wells-next-the-Sea. Have you ever been there?
My chum and I walked a long way then realised we must have hit the skinny dipping area :o I hadn't bought my cossie but it was sooooo hot I thought I'd go for it (only a short run across the beach to the water). Stripped off (chum guarded clothes) and ran all prawny and carefree into the sea :D And ran. And ran. The water was only up to my ankles ??? was about half a mile out before I could cover me modesty! :-[ :-[ :-[
Should be called Wells-nowhere-near-the-Sea imho :P ::)

o dear i am laughing so much :D sounds rather monty python to me!!

never been there (is it near bath and wells?) i swim most days in the summer as i live near bournemouth beach. not the most exciting place to swim but a godsend in this sort of weather.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2006, 11:55:08 »
lol it's on the North Norfolk coast - flat  ;)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 12:05:11 »
Bournemouth? Branksome Park? School there 1928. Review of the Fleet. R101 went over to crash in France. Pine woods. Sand dunes & swimming!!

Sprouty - like Weston-super-Mare?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 12:31:57 »
i know Branksome Park, but actually live on the other side of the town in southbourne.  Do you mean you saw the R101 fly over? that would  be  a sight to see.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2006, 13:08:15 »
Indeed!

And still nothing to do with the heat, here is the Fleet - as it was - over our playing field. What days!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 13:11:01 by tim »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2006, 14:26:46 »
Toooo hot for my wee seedlings on the allotment - popped up today, and they have all frazzled!  :'(

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2006, 14:38:37 »
fascinating picture Tim, thank you for posting it.  What a sight that must have been.

sorry to hear about yur seedlets EJ. Maybe a good drink tonight might revive them?

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2006, 15:33:23 »
Today: 53C recorded on the busses, 47C on the tube. I was on the tube. It was cooler than my office (31C) because the air was moving every now and again.  Out on site all day tomorrow & public trasnport all the way.  Roll on the rain and lots of it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal