Author Topic: Re seed help please.  (Read 1391 times)

Picklesome

Re seed help please.
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:28:43 »
Hi,
I moved into our new house in February and the garden is full of plants and trees, most of which i know nothing about or have ever seen before! The previous owner was gardener by trade so goodness knows what other things will pop up!
My first of probably many questions as things keep growing is that my lupins and foxgloves have finished flowering and are now seed pods on a stick.  Do i leave these to naturally fall and re seed or do i pick them off and do re seed myself?
Thank you for your thoughts.
Tracey

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Re seed help please.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:51:39 »
Lupins, I would chop off the stalks and discard. The chances are that what the seeds will produce will not be as good as the ones you have.
The foxgloves, well it depends on you, Each flower will produce a million seeds. You can allow some to fall and weed out any which grow where you do not want them, and/or you can save a few in a paper envelope and sow them yourself in spring.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Picklesome

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 13:18:32 »
Many thanks for your advice, I'm off to the garden now to collect seeds for the spring.
Tracey

RobC

• Not So New ...
  • Watford
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 16:50:14 »
With the foxgloves I just dead head and sprinkle the seeds where I want immediately, and then thin out in the spring.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 10:36:57 »
Re: Foxgloves self seeding, I have grown some of the basic purpureas (species foxglove) and some 'Excelsior Hybrids'. I know the purpureas will seed themselves readily but what about the others? I know seed from hybrids are a gamble as to what you will get but will they self seed or will I have to do it? I really want to plant and let them get on with it rather than having to resow and grow every year

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal