Author Topic: nesting boxes  (Read 3699 times)

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
Re: nesting boxes
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 15:42:04 »
Put up 22 new nesting boxes this year! :)

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
nesting boxes
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 17:24:20 »
Yes, MrsKP,

I couldn't get Real Player to work. To listen to the radio show - apart from on the internet, it's available on LW 252 and MW 567.

Regards,

C.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 21:45:24 »
it'll all be in the settings DG, just a matter of working out a million and one of them.  Why aren't these things simple !!!

22 Sketty  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  any action ???

just back from a couple of days away and the OH wasn't watching the box so i don't know if there's anything more to report !   :'(
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:39 »
Hi, try moving your box.  We had one up a tree west facing.  No interest in 4 years.  we moved to the back fence behind some bushes last year and had great tits nest in it straight away and they have raised their babies in it again this year.  it gets the filtered early sun but then is in shade for the rest of the day.

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
Nesting boxes
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 14:26:15 »
hey,

how 'ethical' or what good practice is it to take a photo of the lifted lid of a bird box? I've only opened it once, about two weeks ago, it's up a couple of months. Now there's some action of a bird coming and going, presumably the eggs have hatched and there is a family on the go.

thanks

h2yoho

• Quarter Acre
    • Live Birdcam
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 18:09:52 »
I certainly wouldn't open the box whilst birds are nested in there. There's a good chance they would abandon the nest, and the young.

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
nesting boxes
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 13:50:37 »
Aw, that's a pity, but understandable enough I suppose.

thanks

C.

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
nesting boxes
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 10:58:05 »
Well, I haven't gone near my birdbox since May until Monday when I took out the moss which was 'square' from the shape of the box and with a little circular nesting hole! Ah, so cute. There were little bugs in the base so I left the moss on the ground beneath the box. The next day I was going by and about to show OH the remnants of the nest and I noticed 2 almost mummified bodies of baby birds. Aw, how sad.

Maybe I disturbed the nest with my one and only look in and caused their deaths.

Won't do it next year, may get a web cam instead

C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal