Author Topic: foliage plants  (Read 1436 times)

Shirley

• Half Acre
foliage plants
« on: July 12, 2006, 13:07:13 »
This year I bought a foliage plant collection which contained helichrysum (silver & gold) nepta, lamium and felicia, for my hanging baskets.   They have done really well and I would like to do the same next year, only on a bigger scale; but not at £1. per plant!
Is it possible to overwinter and/or propagate from these plants?

Any suggestions?  By the way, I take fushia cuttings and they die, so keep it simple, please ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: foliage plants
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 16:01:52 »
Pot up Nepeta & Lamium at the end of the season and keep them in a cool frost free place. In spring you can divide them and grow them on in 3" pots until ready for re-planting in your baskets.

With Felicia  and Helychrysum it will depend on whether you have the annual or perennial species. The annual species of both can be raised from seed in early spring

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 18:17:55 »
All these planst will root fairly easily frm cuttings taken in August.I am quessing that your problem with other cuttings could be too much water.This is a very common fault.If you fill a pot with general purpose compost and have at least half inch of goos washed course sand on the top,make sure your plants are watered before taking the cuttings.Give them one good drink with a rose on the can and then leave them for at least 10/14 days you may have better luck.

This year I bought a foliage plant collection which contained helichrysum (silver & gold) nepta, lamium and felicia, for my hanging baskets.   They have done really well and I would like to do the same next year, only on a bigger scale; but not at £1. per plant!
Is it possible to overwinter and/or propagate from these plants?

Any suggestions?  By the way, I take fushia cuttings and they die, so keep it simple, please ;D

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 19:27:16 »
Thanks both, for your advice.  Not sure whether the Felicia and Helychrysum are annual or perennial.  When I look up helychrysum in the catalogues I get an annual flower which is nothing like the plant referred to helychrysum I have. 

I will have another go at the fuschia cuttings as well as the others mentioned.  I notice that the nepeta has put out roots on its runners (similar to strawberries) where it has come to contact with the ground.  Can these be isolated and potted on and overwintered in an unheated greenhouse?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal