Author Topic: beginners, what do you wish...  (Read 10020 times)

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
Re: beginners, what do you wish...
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 13:37:32 »
I wish I'd grown things that were happy in a desert!!.  No rain for nearly 3 weeks now and the plots a sun trap.  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 13:37:58 »
I wish that I had done a little more of helping my Dad on his, so that I would have had more of an idea as to what to do when, and which crops I fancied growing. Still, at least everything is an adventure now!  :-*

Trevor Holloway

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 14:45:55 »
First year on half a plot.
I wish I had planted more fruit bushes / trees but space did not allow, more strawberries, plants in the ground not in growbags (will not bother with the bags next year as they dry out too quick).
Have now got the "other half" plot so do not have restricted space (until this time next year)!

wolfieman

• Not So New ...
    • One Tree Hill Allotment Society
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 21:10:40 »
Well first year enthusiasm has provided a very full allotment but its all over the place but you have to try things first. We were to late for garlic so wish we had done that.
We were also far to optimistic in what we could get done (though what we did complete has been very successful) and as the plot is heavy clay all work on further beds has now halted until the autumn and rain arrives as the uncultivated areas are like concrete.
The down side of that is a shed, a cherry, pear and plum tree and two grape vines are currently residing in the garden at home!
Still, this autumn marks the start of phase two.
If I can sort out if there is a way to upload some photos of the progress so far I will
Wolfie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 21:21:37 »
Send Dan a £10 donation and he'll enable pics for you for a year. It's much the easiest way to do it, and it helps keep the site going.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2006, 21:53:30 »
It's more a case of wishing I'd had success with...carrots, strawberries, raspberries,lettuce- all hopeless!
Wish I'd mulched!
And still didn't plant enough onions and shallots. But pleased with my potatoes, asparagus, sweetcorn, courgettes, french beans and hopeful for parsnips, toms, peppers and aubergines.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 09:14:13 »
As long as you get some good crops that's the main thing. Try to work out what went wrong with the others, and aim to do better next year!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2006, 09:24:30 »
Hi all,
I wish that I had not shared with somebody else.  I want my own now, and not sure how to do this without breaking friends.  Need my own space etc.
Any suggestions?

Aww you're not alone newbies. You might find some help here?
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,19705.0
 :)

Sarah, really interesting thread - ty :-*

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2006, 10:58:05 »
Updated "wish..."

That I used poison more often on the weeds.
That after weeding the monsters out this weekend I'd actually planted more stuff as the plot is looking decidedly bare.
That I made more of an effort to get to the plot afterwork, even for half an hour, to hoe, rake, bludgen, nurture and sow.
That instead of going for the "no water" attempt, I had watered the plants, even if every other day.

Next year, it's serious: Down the plot after work every day, beg borrow & steal bits of old junk to make netting frames, get a blooming shed and get it INSTALLED! AND get the jerry-built greenhouse built next to it - need to wait for our french windows to be replaced first - don't fancy winter without them...

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 22:23:13 »
Now I have got the gardening bug I wish I had the nerve to dig up the flipping large area of grass at the side of my bungalow, to think what I could grow out there. Not allowed to plant on it but knowing how people get away with things probably no official would notice. If only I had the nerve ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2006, 22:44:24 »
;D Tee hee Lorna ;D I have often wanted to do something like that at the time when I have had a surplus of exotic seedlings, been very tempted to sneak out in the night and plant a Banana plant or a Torbay palm seedling on the green belt yards from my house and walk the dog and watch it/them grow. ;D

Be something exotic for my doggy to cock his leg up :o ;D

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 16:52:32 »
Sounds like Roy and Lorna might be secret guerillas....

http://www.guerrillagardening.org/

My wishes are

I wish I'd planted more strawberries
My greenhouse doesn't seem to be growing very quickly, I wish I'd planted it earlier (at the moment it's just a base!)
I wish I'd planted less weeds.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 16:57:57 by Looby Loo »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 18:29:33 »
With regard to the big area at the side of bungalow. This estate was originally a council estate but most properties have now been purchased and some of my neighbours have lived here since the late 50's when it was built. I wanted to do things right so I asked permission to put a low fence round the area mainly to stop flipping people letting their dogs use it as their nightly loo. Charlie was cross with me and said "Just do it" Anyhow an official came and said that was council property. My neighbours said utter rubbish. The old chap who lived here before grew vegeatables on it but when he became disabled he just put it down to grass. The outcome was that they have let me have it under licence but I am not to grow trees on it and anytime I cannot manage to keep it tidy I have to inform them.. They did let me put a post and rope low boundary marker so that is better than nothing. There is another plot round the corner exactly the same and the guy fenced that, in fact he has recently died and the bungalow is up for sale complete with lump of ground at the side.. As for being open plan there are numerous brick walls etc on the estate..
Looby Loo Charlie was the guerrilla I am the goody goody two shoes ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 21:06:13 »
Seems to me Lorna that the gentleman who lived there before you set a precedent, with his growing veggies.  Why not reclaim a few feet each year or as needed??

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2006, 21:38:27 »
SMP1704. Funny you should say that. I have made a small flower border and also one across the side of my garage. (Funny they let the old chap put a garage there!!) I was going to write and suggest that as it has been kept tidy for the past 18years perhaps they would let me cultivate a bit.Do you know what I am just going to do it and see what happens., they can only make me re-grass it ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2006, 21:58:04 »
I believe that if you erect a fence around it and it stays there for (I think!) 16 years you can claim the land :D it may be even less than that now. ;)

P.S. Sorry 4 going adrift :P

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 15:32:40 »
Thanks for the thread about plot sharing.  I've decided what to do now, go on my own and have a fresh start by building my own beds, and pleasing nobody but myself.

Cheers for advice.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 16:25:46 »
How long did the guy grow veg for unmolested? If you utilise land unchallenged for so long (I think 12 years) then under common law it becomes your property.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 17:13:13 »
Robert without asking neighbours I have no idea. Poor chap was found unconscious (neighbours had given him a big note to put in window saying help) was only a caring neighbour who noticed his evening paper hadn't been taken out of letter box.. Unfortunately he died in Hosp a week later.
I know when we had land the chap next door grew his strawberries Right up to the rear of our pig buildings (3ft had been left for maintenance) so I asked him not to grow there as I thought about the 12year thing..
Anyhow when it is cooler I am going to extend my borders so there!!!! ;D (without permission)
Lorna

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 17:37:58 »
go for it Lorna,i dont see how any reasonable person could object.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal