Author Topic: Freezing gooseberries  (Read 20290 times)

lin

• Half Acre
Freezing gooseberries
« on: July 13, 2006, 00:24:09 »
Hi all, I seem to have done very well with the goosegogs this year, past two years I have had a mildewy stuff on them, but I think that is because they are close to my fruit trees!

Anyway, with it being dry early on this year, I have stacks of them, and apart from eating them, cooking etc. does anyone know if they are okay after being frozen, just don't want to waste them, thanks Linda

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Freezing gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 06:08:23 »
Yep, goosegogs freeze very well for cooking when you're ready - loose tray method, or stewed and bagged :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 08:08:40 »
I always freeze mine.  Just top and tail them, rinse and freeze on a tray so that you can take out the right amount when you come to use them.  I always do this and then turn them into jam and chutney when I am not so busy in the winter.  Same goes for most soft fruit.  Have fun.  T.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 08:48:06 »
Thanks for this as I am going up this morning to pick my gooseberries.  Last year I made chutney, but I might want to do something different with them this year, when I have time, so good to know I can just freeze them in trays as they are, without cooking them first.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 09:23:53 »
B.L.  you sound just like me - there is so much happening at the moment and all the fruit is ripening too, I am looking forward to time to plan what I do with my 'harvests' when life quietens down and the offspring are all settled back at school, started uni etc.

That's my hope anyway, but there will be something else to take up my time then I am sure.... there always is! :(  T.

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 09:26:45 »
You will enjoy them, I'm now eating the last of my old season frozen GooseGogs, Made a beautiful Syllabub served with Elder Flower syrup....Yummie     ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 12:32:42 »
Absolutely right T!  I love this time of year but it is so difficult to keep up.  Keep meaning to be better organised, but if I can bung things in the freezer it is such a help, then things aren't wasted. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 19:26:32 »
Thanks for all the answers, just got in and it's lovely to see all these comments and solutions... excellent, will lay them on a tray... freeze them, then bag them... I assume that is what you all mean ... to freeze them separately and then lump them together. Got loads of them.

Have just had my favourite way of eating them... boil a few up for about two mins, then put them in a bowl, cover with plain yoghurt and a squeeze of honey and Canderal (keeping off the sugar for fat reasons) and it makes a lovely mix of hot and cold... delicious. I find at this time of year though the pounds pile on, because I go over the plot, and just pick that and pick this and forget exactly what is going in my mouth.

And, oh dear, the raspberries are now ripening.... oh well, will pop over in the morning and start picking again! Linda

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 20:18:04 »
Yes, that is just what we mean.  If they freeze individually you can then take out just the right amount for your yoghurt which sounds wonderful, think I have some in the fridge so will go and have a go - thank you, a brilliant exchange of tips there!! ;D  T.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal