Author Topic: Who's this?  (Read 1951 times)

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
Who's this?
« on: July 09, 2006, 21:05:48 »
Could someone tell me what this little critter turns into...

I have loads of them on my plot and all they eat is groundsel. 

I think they're lovely.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Who's this?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 22:00:22 »
Cinnabar caterpillar maybe? turns into a Cinnabar moth.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 23:20:12 »
Cinnabar moth, a great devourer of noxious ragwort as well as groundsel.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 23:43:06 »
Aha, probably explains why ours aren't eating the lettuce I shoved in for them then!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 00:22:09 »
Very proud of my 5yo - showed her a Cinnabar moth on Ragwort about a week ago and she remembered the colouration of the caterpillars that we showed her last year.  She has a great head for all things natural and loves gardening.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 09:40:20 »
Robert.you know you mention noxious ragwort,well when I photographed that young ladybird larvae a few weeks back it was on some self seeded ragwort in my front garden. I've left the plant to grow as I didn't want to upset any ladybird larvae that I hadn't spotted. Should I remove it? How is it noxious? Like a foxglove for example? I have those.I do try to mix in native plants in my own garden with the more exotic in an attempt to help the insects and wildlife. I've brought my kids up to believe everything in the garden is poisoness. Still my daughter isn't allowed out on her own...being only three. Oh the hardship of having to supervise her ! Took the sprogs to the poison garden at Alnwick Garden and I myself was amazed at the everyday flowers that are in there. The allotment is different and the kids have got into the habit of asking before they pick anything...my daughter scoffs all the peas!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:21:44 »
It is only really a problem when it is dried and mixed with hay.  When it is fresh and growing, herbivores avoid it but it loses its repellent properties when dried which is why it can be a problem for horses.  I leave all mine on my plot for the cinnabars as I love them.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:23:40 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:31:24 »
Ragwort is poisonous to livestock. This can become a problem on overgrazed land like Port Meadow in Oxford, where every citizen of the city has the right to pasture animals. They used to organise parties to go round pulling the stuff, I don't know whether they still do. Ragwort honey is notorious for tasting horrible, though it seems to do the bees no harm, and apparently mellows after a few months.

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 19:14:00 »
I'm so pleased that something so lovely does no harm to my veggies and then turns into such a beautiful moth.  I shall be leaving all the groundsel until the flowers start to go over.

Thanks for the help

LL

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 20:43:42 »
Thanks Ady, Robert and Looby Loo for showing the picture.

I was thinking I hadn't seen a caterpillar like that but seeing the moth it reminded me that I actually have and where... on the sand dunes,well on the grassy side of the sand dunes. So maybe, if I'm lucky, they may spread over the fields and take a shine to my front garden  :)

Have any of you done a night time search for moths? Like you see on the nature programmes,with a light and a box,or a sheet? I fancy trying that one night just to see what is about.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 21:33:03 »
I never have, but I like wandering round with a camera looking for larger insects. You don't need anything elaborate to get decent shots of bees or butterflies, just a camera with a macro capability and patience.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal