Author Topic: Non rotting compost heap!  (Read 1937 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Non rotting compost heap!
« on: July 12, 2006, 10:29:37 »
This is a problem I cannot remember ever having before in over 30 years of making compost. I have just turned over the heap built in February/March with the material cut down over winter.  We are talking here of the plant material from herbaceous, grass stems, pampas grass flower stalks, that sort of thing. I would say that not one single piece of the stuff has begun to decompose. Even the kitchen waste material is still there and still recognisable. The only stuff not to have gone on the heap is lawn mowings that normally would be included.
For the life of me I cannot think of any reason for this happening. The stuff was almost certainly wet when it was added and despite the low level of water, we have had a reasonable amount.
Any ideas anyone?
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Non rotting compost heap!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 12:14:33 »
Quote; The stuff was almost certainly wet when it was added and despite the low level of water, we have had a reasonable amount.

I haven't looked at mine yet, now you have got me thinking.

Question was it covered?

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 14:15:43 »
is it still wet now?  if not I'd add some water or better still some Urine to get it going.  Funny about the kitchen scraps though.  Maybe the proportion of the woody material is too high in comparison to the green material, and if the grass stalks etc are in big pieces they will take longer to rot down.
I'm not an expert though and have no idea what my pile is doing.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 15:51:00 »
Never covered a compost heap in my life.
I have just spent the day shredding the grass stalks and believe me that is not a job for the faint hearted. Whilst doing this, it suddenly struck me that in moving the material I had not see one worm, slug, snail or woodlouse. Now all of those are primary movers and shakers in the composting world. They all like damp conditions, SO I am beginning to think that lack of water is the problem.
Anyway I have shredded about a 10th of it and added fresh green material and will continue to do so. Watering the heap may be a difficulty. We have almost emptied the water butts and hosepipe using is expensive on a metered system. Wait and see!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 15:59:45 »
Sounds like there's a preponderance of dry woody stuff. Add grass cuttings if you have them, or anything green, mix it up, and pee on it. That should get it moving.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 16:05:56 »
Quote; and pee on it. ::)

And if you run dry here as well, add some Sulphate of ammonia between the layers

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 17:54:30 »
"This is a problem I cannot remember ever having before in over 30 years of making compost. "
All of those things have been done, as per usual!

Digger_07

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 18:43:01 »
I had a similar problem a few years ago. The general concensus of the "experts on the plot" at the time was that the "stalky" stuff was providing too much air space in the heap and therefore any moisture was being wicked away. The air spaces also prevented anything from colonising the heap.

After 6 months of nothing happening we chopped everything and turned it a couple of times over about two months.  In 4 months we had a wonderful pile.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 20:16:27 »
I agree.  All I can do is carry on breaking up the stalks and rebuilding the heap. The grass stalks are difficult.  They twist themselves up into ropes and stop the blades revolving. I may bag them and let the council compost them ;D
At least I have given the cat something to do. She is thoroughly enjoying searching the space for rodents. When she is not there the blackbirds spend a lot of time digging in the soft stuff underneath.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 18:34:28 »
sounds like you need more 'green compost' try adding grass clippings!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal