Author Topic: Hasta la pasta - saved seeds  (Read 1461 times)

umshamrock

• Half Acre
Hasta la pasta - saved seeds
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:59:27 »
Hi,

Last year I grew the spaghetti squash Hasta la Pasta and saved the seeds which I planted this year and are totally romping away. Now, the thing is, the squashes are HUGE, I mean way bigger than they ever got last year. I have looked on the internet, and some sources say Hasta la Pasta is an F1 hybrid, and some don't specify.

Has anyone ever grown this plant from saved seed and were the results edible? My allotment is totally full and if the squashes aren't going to be any good, I could really use the space.

Thanks!
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Hasta la pasta - saved seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 10:00:44 »
If it is an F1 then the fruit will be variable to say the least, which company did the seeds? Have a look on their website. If it is an improved strain of old veg spag. then it should be OK unless you had other cucurbits nearby, in which case it will have crossed.... cut out all but one plant and tie it up on a support to free up ground space...
 ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 10:54:08 »
Squashes etc are notoriously promiscuous,they will cross without shame. I`ve tried using saved seed(not of the variety mentioned) and was not happy with the results.

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:37:43 »
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice. The seeds were from Thompson and Morgan UK - and it doesn't mention F1 on their website. BUT...Thompson and Morgan Itlay does call Hasta la Pasta an F1... the squashes do look a little bit funny too... I can't decide what to do! I hate killing vegetables needlessly...
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 13:21:54 »
Leave them alone and eat them; they certainly won't be poisonous! If they're tasteless, spice them up well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal