Author Topic: In Praise of Canterbury Bells  (Read 1211 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
In Praise of Canterbury Bells
« on: July 06, 2006, 23:54:51 »
I have to say what a good value plant this is. OK its a biennial so maybe thats why more dont grow it, but while its around its briliant.

I grew these for the first time and are flowering now for the first time. It took a long time to come into flower but it was well worth waiting for. Not only that I have found if they are promptly and rigorously deadheaded, they willingly produce secondary blooms.

One tip though if you grow them and havent managed a second flush. Just remove the spent flower and nothing else. The next flowers are produced just behind the first in the leaf axils there, so if you cut too much off you may well loose the new buds.

The only problem I had with them was planting them in the wrong place - the grew much taller than expected, so tended to mask shorther plants behind. Never mind i have some more coming on for next year so I shall know where to plant them this time

Examples may be seen in my June Photo album nn the gallery

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: In Praise of Canterbury Bells
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 10:12:08 »
Well done we have given up on them, never getting them past the slugged out stage! Know what you mean about things being in the wrong place though!
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal