Author Topic: Squash question  (Read 1365 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Squash question
« on: July 10, 2006, 14:29:49 »
Hello,

I've grown a squash which 'Real Seeds' sent me as a replacement for something I had ordered and which they had run out. They called it 'Flat Cheese Squash'.

The plant has grown quite large and I've already had about 10 female flowers which didn't get pollinated, and only 2 which I managed to polynate myself and started growing. Question is... how many female flowers are produced by the average squash plant? can I expect more throughout the season? Do squashes and courgettes make a certain number of flowers and then stop?

thanks again,
Vaca

Diana

• Acre
Re: Squash question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 14:33:22 »
You should still get more. I tend to limit the number on my plants so I get the amount I require + can make sure they reach maturity to store well. Then again, I'm in Scotland so not favourable conditions.

I don't think there's a set number that the give up at. With courgettes, if you keep picking they'll keep producing untill the temerature drops too low
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 17:50:50 »
I don't interfere with any of my squashes and always end up with more than we know what to do with....we are still eating last years stored pumpkins and squashes!  They will keep producing flowers and fruit until either you oik the plant out, or stop them, or there is a turn in the weather.  I let mine carry on until I oik them out because the immature fruitlets are delicious used like courgettes as their skin is still soft and the seeds haven't developed.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 19:13:50 »
How have you managed to store them this long E-J ? Even Crown Prince in the shed gives up at the end of May.
 ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 23:23:25 »
Luck rather than judgement saddad.  They are in the conservatory on a rack and most are still fine.  Now it is hotter, and more humid in the conservatory, we have started loosing them as they collapse and go mouldy.  Used an Orange Acorn last week and it was lovely - the flesh was firm and sweet and the hamsers loved the seeds!  :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 10:02:31 »
I thought it was the temp in the shed, as we tend to store them on top of the freezers to prevent a quick chilling when they are open! but by may the roof gets quite hot!
 ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 16:00:36 »
This is my last squash from last year. It started out pale green with dark stripes, and slowly went orange in storage. Those durn mixed squash again >:( can anyone say with confidence what it might be - before I open it? ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal