Author Topic: Walnut trees  (Read 884 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Walnut trees
« on: July 08, 2006, 23:21:57 »
My dad gave me some 12 inch walnut trees that the squirrels buried in his garden

One seems to be dying off - leaves are drying out and some have turned brown so i put in the greenhouse, the other one is fine and outside.

Can i do anything to help the drying out one ... and when should i plant out?

amphibian

Re: Walnut trees
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 23:31:44 »
I don't know the answers to your question, but be very careful where you lant it, as walnut trees kill everything near them.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 09:44:05 »
They do grow large - hope you've got enough room! I estimate you'd have to allow roughly a 10 m diameter circle.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:48:16 »
I don't know the answers to your question, but be very careful where you lant it, as walnut trees kill everything near them.

Ma planted an 11 year old one in our (smallish) garden when we were growing up (in memory of Dad). They're huge with a big spread of branches.  Ours fruited when it was about 15-17 years old.  Best harvest was over 1000 walnuts (not including those eaten by the cows or wot fell into next door's garden!)

Amphibian: Do they kill particular plants? We had shade loving plants growing all under-neath it, the grass continued to grow (bit patchy towards the trunk) and the shade was marvellous.

Be careful:  They are one of the few trees who "bleed" sap.  If you prune them, you will need to paint the stump with the proper stuff (never pruned ours so my knowledge is lacking) to stop the bleeding.  If you don't, the tree could bleed to death.  Strange eh?

I'd plant them both and make a strong mesh-and-wooden-post affair to surround & protect them.   Can't comment on the unwell one - sorry.

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 09:52:34 »

Yeah, I've heard that before and was thinking about it whilst clearing the rampant grapevines, self-seeded bullace, creeping vine weed, nettles and other assorted teaming plant life that surrounds my walnut tree.

Admittedly, mine is only young - it's about 4 metres tall, only a hundred or so walnuts on it this year... I'm assuming that the walnut when it gets more mature might exude some kind of thing that inhibits growth but I'm not sure that it will 'kill everything' nearby.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal