Author Topic: Leeks - Help.  (Read 7260 times)

keef

• Hectare
Re: Leeks - Help.
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 16:21:38 »
Dont back fill , stick the leek in the hole, then fill with water around the leek.

I havn't planted mine out yet - will proably get round to doing it this week sometime.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 23:13:21 »
SS, some of mine are no more than blades of grass, but they will do the business and create that perfect continual cropping that we all strive to obtain!  ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 06:45:40 »
Phew e-j, that's reassuring!
I assume that if my 'backfilled' leeks are successful they will be grittier than normal - extra work for the cook, otherwise no harm done. When they are stout, I'll mulch in the autumn instead of earthing up.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 16:27:19 »
I have been keeping an eye on this thread and have said nothing simply because I don't use the method/s used here and have (I guess) equal success.

I just cant see the point of cutting off roots, shortening leaves etc.

Then there is the other thing, are you growing 'pot' leeks or 'blanch' leeks?

For those who do not know; pot leeks are fat and the blanching is short, usually no more than 6"

Blanch leeks are as long as you desire, the object is, is to get the blanched part as long as possible.

The only thing I seem to have in common is the sowing and growing on to pencil thickness, although I don't even bother too much about thickness either.

Lets take pot leeks first, as I think this is what most of you are attempting to grow. I base this on the fact that many of you bury your leeks 6"-10" deep.

My way;  at the 'crook' stage I prick out into 3" pots, I then grow them on for a few weeks, possibly to the infamous 'pencil thickness' stage then I plant out.

To do this I use a bulb planter to form my planting hole, this is much easier than using a trowel, particularly if the ground is sticky, plus the fact the 3" rootball sits snugly in the hole.

I plant the plants out to the same level as they were in the pots, perhaps about an inch deeper (depends upon how deep I made the hole)

Now for the reason I have chosen to do this as opposed to the 'deep hole' method and filling with water.

To my mind (with the deep hole way) when the leek wants to swell it gets a resistance from the the soil surrounding it. Which might be fine in some soils that has a bit of give in it but what about for example; baked clay? stony ground? not much give in those as a rule is there?

Whereas my way everything is above ground apart from the roots (which were never cut) so plenty of space to expand/swell, and depending upon variety you will get as much natural blanching taking place as you would under ground.

With blanch leeks you just surround them with pipe sleeves and you will get extended blanching.

I hope you don't mind my rant but I just had to share with you all, another way of growing leeks.

Is there no one from the North east of England on this forum, they should know what I am on about.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 18:51:37 »
Because I don't have a dibber, I dig a hole and drop them in.  Last year I did similar to you TG and grew them on in little pots, this year I thought I would try the more 'by the book' method and see how they go. 

I grow blanched leeks and later in the year I earth them up using my leaf mould that was made last autumn.  My ground is quite stony which can cause odd shaped leeks (and other veg) but as they aren't for showing or selling, and as I am chief cook and bottle washer (or leek washer) then I really don't mind.

Feeding though, should one be feeding ones leeklets yet?  If no, then when and what with??

;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 19:01:18 »
Like EJ I grow blanched leeks, in my case I use toilet rolls as leek collars.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 21:28:14 »
Very neat mike :o
Do the collars last til Spring?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 22:24:57 »
They did when I did it last year.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 12:08:54 »
My you must use a lot of toilet paper Mike :o by my calculations approximately one and a half rolls per day ;D

Very tidy plot!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 13:41:03 »
Oh tee gee, one asks one's friends to save them up for one, does one not? ::)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 13:58:59 »
Oh tee gee, one asks one's friends to save them up for one, does one not? ::)

Even M.I.L's

The plot is part of my garden TG, so I had better keep it reasonably neat otherwise OH would be quite vocal :D :D.  Also I've got cement paths so easy to sweep etc. BUT I don't have any ripe toms yet, so not a happy man.  Mind you I did get some rain this week, so not all bad.
Pics are last winter.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 15:50:42 by MikeB »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal