Author Topic: cuttings  (Read 2037 times)

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
cuttings
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:10:51 »
I`m going to take some cuttings from my fuchsias & was just wondering would i need to put a little bag over them to help root? they are going in the greenhouse which is very warm anyway.
Light of my life!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 11:45:14 »
The bag at this time of year will help reduce water loss so might be a good idea. Would also place them out of the sun but in a bright spot.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:11:24 »
Thank you, will do. ;D
Light of my life!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 17:43:16 »
I grow hundreds of fuchsias from cuttings.

I make a mixture of roughly 50/50 compost and vermiculite.  I use Erin trays (roughly £2.99 for three trays) which are widely avalable in B&Q, Woolworths, etc.   The trays hold 60 cuttings.  Take the cuttings as small as possible.  Two small leaves, with evidence of a growing tip, above the cut off leaves.  At this time of year, it is important (obviously) to keep them out of direct sunlight.  Growing them in trays, I do not use the polythene bag method.  I have never done this and have always had very good success rate.  Neither do I use hormone rooting powder.

I am a bit of a fuchsia addict.

Sunflower, at this time of year, you will not need the polythene bag method.  As you say, your greenhouse is warm, and to be perfectly honest, with a polythene bag over your cuttings, they would be steamed!!  Sorry Sanders!!

From personal experience, any cuttings you take now will need to be kept warm, but in permanent shade, and also well watered.

Good luck, I wish you every success, but be warned fuchsias can become an obsescion.  I know, I've been there.  But it is a wonderful harmless hobby.  They are beautiful flowers.

valmarg

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 15:15:30 »
I also do not like plastic bags they tend to create some much extra moisture.I prefer to have the cuttings in the open and spray them a few times with a very fine hand sprayer using just plain water. I use 50/50 compost and perlite but each to his own.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 15:43:56 »
I use pure sharp sand and no polythene bags either. Mind I do have a cuttings frame which has a shaded lid and sides and gets sprayed every time i go past! Pure sand works for most things as long as you move them on once they are rooted. Each to his or her own. whatever works for you!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 19:14:50 »
Eric, you say "Pure sand works for most things as long as you move them on once they are rooted."  How long do they take to root?  I have never had much success with fuchia cuttings, and would love to have a lot more, but as I buy new each year, it gets a bit expensive.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 20:25:03 »
I reckon most things root within a month, almost all by 6 weeks and if not by then. then they ain't gonna root at all for me.
Fuchsias are about the easiest thing of all. The advice given above is spot on (Valmarg).
My cuttings frame is inside the greenhouse and is a frame on the bench. The frame is made from opaque polyethylene sheeting. There is a bottom heating cable in it, but I have not used it for years 'cos I do not propagate stuff like I used to.
Gardening is the great leveller.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 22:03:41 »
i find putting cuttings in water in a small vase or jam jar works for me/shades x
grow your own way

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal