Author Topic: complete novice  (Read 1405 times)

mr plasma

• Half Acre
complete novice
« on: July 06, 2006, 19:44:42 »
hi everyone just been told i have an allotment,its 60ft x30ft and overgrown can anyone please advise me as where to begin and is it too late to plant anything this year,as i said before i am a complete novice but dont mind a bit of hard work so any suggestions will be a help thanks.
ps just joined this site and no doubt you will soon be sick of all the questions i have
thanks again

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: complete novice
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 19:50:05 »
No time or expertise to answer that but, if you SEARCH, I'm sure you'll find something to go on until someone can repeat it?

supernova

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 19:57:17 »
Hi.

I`m in the same boat as you i think. Just aquired my allotment and their is tonnes of work to be done. I found someone with a Petrol strimmer to get of all the grass. My main concern is those d**n weeds (B*****S). I rekcon the best way forward is weedkiller but i`m worried that i can`t plant next year, so i`m checking that out. The best way i found was by drawing a plan and sticking to it. Set your plots out, shed,path, water barrels etc. It just gives you an idea in your head of what your doing i suppose. I know you can get some good books aslo if you check out BBC Gardening...Alan T has a few handy hints.

Barrie.

mr plasma

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 20:28:10 »
thanks nova will lookat bbc titchmarsh

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 20:49:53 »
Get one of those asian hoes or a mattock, they are great for clearing  overgrown plots. Hard work, mind you, so a crate of beer might also be a good idea. Most weed killers neutralise when they hit the soil and only affect the weeds they hit. They go against the grain when you want to be organic. Clear it a bit at a time and start planting straight away, still plenty of time left in the growing season.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 21:15:29 »
If you can't dig it all, put black plastic over the rest and leave it. Dig the edge in a few inches so the roots can't just run in under it.

mr plasma

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 21:47:31 »
thanks for all replys.i think a little at a time is the best approach,can you suggest what i can sow or plant this month.nothing too tricky or difficult as i said before im no expert

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 22:54:45 »
Mr Plasma and Supernova. Can't give any advice as I am the one who is always asking for advice. However would like to welcome you both to A4A. Hope you enjoy and get great satisfaction from your allotments. Just get plenty of radox in to soak away the aches and pains ;D
Lorna

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 06:51:26 »
Welcome to the forum :)

It's too hot to do much on the plot, so pull up a chair and explore the wiki (the A4a member-generated encyclopaedia) third button from the right at the top of the page. You'll find detailed instructions on clearing a plot and loads of other tips and ideas.
Planting now? Brassicas for autumn/winter. Potatoes (for November harvest).
Sowing now? Peas and beans. Lettuce, beetroot, chicory, salsify, carrot.
That should keep you busy ;)
Like tim says, 'search' is a mine of information too.

Just remember it's supposed to be fun, take it slowly, imho it takes at least three years to turn a plot around.
Take the 'before' pictures NOW so you can show everyone the 'after' when it's time! 8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:53:09 by supersprout »

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 10:26:05 »
I'm working on clearing a little bit at a time and sticking something in as soon as possible. Even if some of it doesn't grow, it does wonders for the enthusiasm level when you can take a bit of food home.

Don't do what I did and start a plot, do all the hard work and then decide it's too small and move to another one ::) I've got potatoes and onions on the original plot - buried in bindweed, but still growing - and about 3 sq yards of clear soil on the larger one. I did cut all the nettles down (Borrowed a scythe, which worked much better than the strimmer) so they're only 2 ft high, not 5 ft. My neighbour keeps telling me they'll die down soon and it'll be much easier then. I hope she's right.

Good luck with your plots.

Sally

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal