Author Topic: Is it possible to strengthen the glass?  (Read 4386 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Is it possible to strengthen the glass?
« on: July 06, 2006, 13:33:26 »
I'm about to dismantle a greenhouse and transport it to my lottie.  I've been reading all the threads on doing such a job and they've all been very helpful.  I do however have one question that I don't think I've read anything about.

Before refitting the glass into the greenhouse I was thinking about strengthening it in some way, or rather make it a little safer if any of them do break at any point as I'm sure they will.  I was thinking something along the lines of sticking sticky backed plastic to the underside.  Has anyone else ever tried this, or know of a better way.  My objective is to limit the amount of shattered glass I have to pick up if the local kids decide to chuck stones at it!

Many thanks

Sweet-pea

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Is it possible to strengthen the glass?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 14:42:18 »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 14:54:42 »
I drive past them every day! Good idea for if I ever get a greenhouse...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 15:15:14 »
Thanks Jenny, that sounds like just what I'm after.  Will measure up and see what kind of cost it would entail.  I suspect that sticky backed plastic might not last that long!

fozzy1609

• Evowrap
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 10:37:44 »
Apologies for replying to such an old post but I just wanted to check if you actually installed safety film to your greenhouse? I came across this post by accident - I'm a window film installer and as soon as I saw it alarm bells rung.  I've had a couple of jobs where I've had to install safety film to a greenhouse and its a nightmare.  it can be done but the pressure you need to squeegee the film on is too much for the glass and can crack it.  If you don't squeegee hard enough you end up with the possibility of bubbles.  The way we've done it in the past is to have someone on the outside wearing safety gloves and goggles and holding the glass as we squeegee.  Just gotta go really careful or it could still crack.  This is on the greenhouses which have really thin glass.  If the glass is 4mm or above then probably no need to worry.  Did you manage to fit it without bubbles and cracks or did you not take on the project in the end?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:04:02 »
I doubt that you will get an answer from Sweet Pea as she hasn't been on the forum since September 2010.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 12:24:20 »
Welcome fozzy1609 to A4A.  Thanks for the warning.  Presume the glass was taken out for the move, so perhaps she could do it on a table.

It is frustrating sometimes. people often do not go back and tell you the end of the story.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal