Author Topic: worms in peas - prevention  (Read 5129 times)

shedifice

• Not So New ...
worms in peas - prevention
« on: July 06, 2006, 12:41:21 »
Dear all,

I have worms in me peas, not a bad thing but annoying. Its just a matter of carefull selection when shelling the little beauties.

Problem is I have a few in me Mangytout. Now the wife can just about cope with eating peas that cohabited but were not home to a worm.

Problem is since I admitted there were a few in the mangytout she wont eat the said mangytout.

What can I do next year to stop my mangytout being kindergarten to wormies?

Cheers

L.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: worms in peas - prevention
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 13:01:26 »
Don't grow mangetout but I've always had moths in the peas. I just say nothing about the extra protein, and so far I've always got away with it.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 14:29:07 »
Sow very early(Aprilish), or sow very late (July)  Timing is important - but if you use fine gauge enviromesh or fleece, you should be able to stop the pea moth getting to the plants in the first place, then it doesn't matter when you sow.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 15:04:58 »
Alternatively leave the mange tout, I did this by mistake, and now have mange centres!

The peas were very nice and tasty, just through the pods onto the compost
Kathi :-)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 18:40:21 »
I believe you can dust with derris or some such, but wouldn't want to personally as the kids like to eat the peas straight from the pod.....wormies and all I suspect as they don't check.  Tis okay when they are little and no messes...sometimes it is obvious as they are messy inside.  My early onwards that were started at the start of the year in the greenhouse in paper pots didn't have a single wiggler, the kelvedon wonder did.  My aldermans which are now smothered in pods probably will to, but the later ones that have jsut germinated should be fine.

shedifice

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 08:51:38 »
Many thanks for the replies, I will try an early and late sowing next year I think.

Yours

L.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 17:41:17 »
but how do they get in there? Obviously they are laid as eggs, but I couldn't see any holes in the pea pod? ???

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 17:57:52 »
The pea moth goes for the flowers, so I expect it lays its eggs before the pods have formed.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 10:24:32 »
They do go in when in flower, but you sometimes see small exit holes at the flower end!
 ;D

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 21:13:16 »
I think you will find that they are maggots not worms, and they do come from the pea moth. Must admit if I see any after I have shelled a load for the freezer I keep my mouth shut and freeze the little bu**ers, if that does not kill them the cooking will. Extra protein
                       ;D ;D ;D ;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 21:56:15 »
They're neither maggots nor worms, but caterpillars, even if they do look like maggots. Not that it makes any difference, they're still just as loathsome.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 13:21:57 »
All these things are larvae of insects except worms, which are, well, just worms.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal