Produce > Non Edible Plants

flowering climber - suggestions please?

<< < (3/3)

Hugh_Jones:
Eric, I DID say that I had no practical experience of Grandiflora and was relying on the books (all by well known `experts`).  If THEY can`t agree then how can we poor mortals judge?

Palustris:
I sometimes think that some of these experts have never grown these plants either and merely copy from each others books. I too have not got C.grandiflora, so the veracity of the experts statements must be left to others to verify. (That sounds good and pompous does it not?) By the way mended the leaks, now all we need is rain to see if the repairs work.

MagpieDi:
I grow montana white, rubens and Elizabeth, and from my experience the white has a poorer show of flowers, rubens is very pretty, but Elizabeth is the best of all and has a slight vanilla scent, excellent coverage and thrives on a good hacking back every few years.
One other I would highly recommend is 'alpina', very early flowering , north aspect no problem ! I live 900ft up in the Pennines and it has thrived for approx 10 years, both on east and north aspects!! Beautiful grown alongside the yellow Kerria Japonica.
Has anyone had experience growing clematis horizontally as ground cover?

Clivia:
How about Clematis tangutica? A shower of yellow in the summer, and shimmering seeds heads in the autumn and into the winter. Its not as rampant as the montanas, and so easier to control when its high up on a shed roof.
I also grow rhodochiton. This is a great with the clematis, and gives even more interest.

campanula:
ooh, i have just sent off for rodochiton seeds- i agree that it should look really good with some of the viticellas (my fave, purpurea plena elegans) or something dinky like 'Little Nell'. Never tried it before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version