Author Topic: what to do with my pepper plant...  (Read 1084 times)

Katinkka

• Not So New ...
what to do with my pepper plant...
« on: July 23, 2006, 20:16:15 »
Its got about a million little peppers on it and seems to have really outgrown the pot.  On the card that came with it (got it from garden centre) it says plant out in a sunnt spot!!!  So do I keep it in the greenhouse or will it survive on the plot?   I would just hate to ruin my pepper plant as it looks so promising.  Its already in a big pot - same size as tomato plants.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: what to do with my pepper plant...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:19:58 »
Hi,

If you have a lot of peppers on the plant it sounds like a chilli rather than a sweet pepper. Without knowing the variety it's hard to say but I would recommen putting out in the pot rather than planting into a bed unless you have very warm soil conditions - friends of mine plants into beds but their peppers rarely ripen. Do you know the variety?

Generall teh bigger the [pot the bigger the plant. If it's fruiting already it will be ok in the same pot but regular water and a weekly feed will be needed. I've generally found the South American varieties to be a lot hardier than the Asian.

I have been growing Chillis for several years.  This year, for the first time I hardened some off in a cold frame in May and put the pots outside in the garden in June (not planted in beds).  Previously I waited until July/August.

The greenhouse ones are further on but all seem quite happy, but it has been a hot summer and they are on a stone patio so presumably the heat level stays up at night. I'm in London so may have a few degrees extra.

Also planted some last weekend on the allotment where they get a lot of sun but it is very exposed. Will report on their progress if anyone's interested.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 14:57:52 »
Also planted some last weekend on the allotment where they get a lot of sun but it is very exposed. Will report on their progress if anyone's interested.

Yes please Barnowl, that would be interesting for future reference - I have grown a load in pots this year but would be good to know how they do down on a plot.   ;D
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Katinkka

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 17:55:25 »
Thanks for the replies.  It is definatley a pepper plant.  Got a bigger pot today from b&q  so will repot it then.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 20:07:37 »
we grow ours in pots and they have loads of green peppers on them-when the weather turns cold we put them in a very cold conservatory and they s l o w l y ripen and we were eating then on new years day-lovely and red they were but the plants themselves looked shot at!
you could bring it in onto the kitchen windowsill later...
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal