Author Topic: Sweetcorn query and deer rant  (Read 7211 times)

amphibian

Sweetcorn query and deer rant
« on: July 04, 2006, 19:22:49 »
The blasted deer have munched many of my corn plants, some have been ripped out the ground or reduced to stumps, but some have just had their tops eaten off. Do corn regrow or are they curtains?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:30:46 by amphibian »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Sweetcorn query
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 22:28:15 »
curtains, unless it had some little side shoots at the base, in which case you could get those to grow instead.

:(

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:38:17 »
I think I'm going to give up my plot, the deer eat everything, the council refuse to improve the fencing, what's the point.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:45:15 by amphibian »

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 11:12:51 »
Amphibian I feel for you, do you have an allotment manager that you could talk too? Do the other plot holders have the same problem?

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 11:29:20 »
Amphibian I feel for you, do you have an allotment manager that you could talk too? Do the other plot holders have the same problem?

We all have the same issue, some have fenced their own plots, in breach of our contracts. This works because the deer can't be bothered jumping the fence if they can just munch someone else's produce with out jumping. However virtually all the plots are now fenced, if I fence mine then they will start jumping over the fences and we'll all be back to square one.

We have no manager, but I called the council woman, and she got stroppy with me, telling me how she had already told us 'all' (as if we have a collective conscience) that there is no funding for a fence along the bottom of the site, and how if we pinpoint where the deer get through she will get it fenced, this is just daft as they will simply move along a few feet and come through somewhere else where a fence is lacking. The council's idea of deer fencing is a four foot wire fence, useless.

I know a year ago my site was virtually empty and the council wanted to sell it off for housing, I think they are trying to drive us all away so they can rekindle this aim.

I don't get this no funding lark, the site is full and and the rent for all the plots should amount to about £20,000/year, they mow the paths twice a year, and collect rubbish once a year. That is it. It seems to me that they use our rent to fund other council expenses, which I believe is illegal.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: Sweetcorn query and deer rant
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:33:29 »
Could you not get an article into your local paper, get a few of you together and have a piccy taken so that it makes other people aware of the problem. Councils don't really like bad press. I agree if they tried to sell the land it does sound fishy.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:36:08 »
Try your MP, then if that doesn't work, go to the local paper, and they can contact the MP, who will already be aware of the situation, and give them some free publicity.

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 11:46:45 »
I am not normally one to take this kind of nonsense, but there is an association run site nearer my current home, and I am tempted just to try to get a plot there. The association site deal with the deer with an electric fence, it is apparently very effective and cheaper than a tall fence.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53:28 »
Good thinking - before you make the press phone call, give the next manager up to the charming lady  one final try. It might be worth clearly pointing out the news value, and the urgency. They really do hate bad press. Suggest a joint meeting on site - they may be glad to get out for an hour. E-mail photo's of your sweetcorn to the manager - possibly as part of a draft "press release". I don't know how big a fence it is, but is there a middle way, whereby they provide the materials and the allottmenteers provide the labour??
I may be able to find you a nice rare orchid - if they try to sell the site. We have one up our sleeves (metaphorically) just in case!!!
Chantenay.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:35:21 »
I know where the biggest colony of bee orchids in the E Midlands is, I found it and reported it. I can also get you some Great Crested newts if needs be ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 12:55:18 »
I wouldn't start digging up bee orchids, they don't like being moved. GC newts are a better bet; stick a few in a pond at the right time of year and they'll probably stay around.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 20:31:19 »
i dunno-news stories...gc newts-bee orchids-you are a cunning lot-

its just what i was going to suggest!!lol!
kick up a stink-and put you'r name down for the more local plot too amph-it wont do any harm to run them side by side for a while while you give the council some stick ;D ;D ;D

i consider meself lucky that the only deer i have seen frolicked past thru the wheatfield and on to the woods-i was hoping she wouldnt notice the veg garden!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 10:08:37 »
Get a Lurcher  ;D
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 12:45:21 »
Do you know much about the deer - i.e. type and herd size? (wild or owned, local hunting laws etc).

The geography of your plot (i.e. are you on an edge of the grounds or not) and how the deer get in is worth looking at. Perhaps there is something you could grow at their entrance into the ground that would  keep them away (?vicious spiky plants etc)...or even razor wire via ebay (i.e.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Razor-Wire-Security-Fencing-450-mm-boxed-warning-sign_W0QQitemZ230002646256QQihZ013QQcategoryZ26197QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

...there is always corn-fed venison recipes?

Or maybe round some up and sneak then into the Council offices.

Either way good luck.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 12:55:30 »
The edge of Tunbridge Wells? Roe or fallow are the most likely, though I could be wrong.

amphibian

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 19:16:32 »
The edge of Tunbridge Wells? Roe or fallow are the most likely, though I could be wrong.

We have roe and fallow in abundance, I am not sure which is the responsible party, may be both.

amphibian

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 19:22:22 »
Do you know much about the deer - i.e. type and herd size? (wild or owned, local hunting laws etc).

The geography of your plot (i.e. are you on an edge of the grounds or not) and how the deer get in is worth looking at. Perhaps there is something you could grow at their entrance into the ground that would  keep them away (?vicious spiky plants etc)...or even razor wire via ebay (i.e.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Razor-Wire-Security-Fencing-450-mm-boxed-warning-sign_W0QQitemZ230002646256QQihZ013QQcategoryZ26197QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

...there is always corn-fed venison recipes?

Or maybe round some up and sneak then into the Council offices.

Either way good luck.

They are 'wild' deer, it is illegal to hunt them, unless licenced to cull.

All the plots border the fields behind because we have long thin strips running doen the site, deer are not usually put of by briars, they often make their homes in teh middle of them. We are nott allowed to install razor wire, nor erect our own fencing.

I love the idea of letting them loose in the town hall though.

A local resident says he has seen them jumping over the hedge from the road, the hedge is 6' tall and 4' deep, the only plot that doesn't suffer from them is one that has a 7' hedge all the way round it.

I am desparately trying to get hold of the association site secretary, but his phone just rings and rings.  ???

amphibian

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 10:22:44 »
Well I have put my name down for a plot at the association runs site round the corner, it has a waiting list of 25 and has something like 150 plots. He asked lots of questions, that made me think the waiting list wasn't run in a stictly first come first serve order.

Hopefully I won't have to wait an age. In the meantime I am going to give up the lower portion of my allotment, and concentrate on the top, which I think I'll keep to grow deer resisant things like spuds, soft fruits etc...

Apparently the association site has no problems with deer and is relatively free of perenial weeds and brambles, it has a shop and toilet regular manure deliveries, no stupid rules about greenhouses or sheds, wish I'd gone there in the first place, they had no waiting list when I took on my plot.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 18:03:33 »
it has a shop and toilet regular manure deliveries

its just the same in our bathroom amph! ;D ;D ;D

more seriously-i'm glad you are trying for the new place-theres nothing more disheartening than having your hardworkruined-i hopoe you get a new plot soon-you can look forward to next years harvest then....
blinkin deer...
best of luck..
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

amphibian

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 19:30:45 »
Well I have had a bumper harvest of shallots today, that cheered me up, though my whole house reeks of them now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal