Author Topic: Onion Stuttgart Giant for Autumn Sowing  (Read 3658 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Onion Stuttgart Giant for Autumn Sowing
« on: July 04, 2006, 21:37:36 »
I'm going to sow Stuttgart Giant (seed) in August for overwintering along with the Japanese onions.
Will be sowing in modules for the first time - how many seeds would you sow in each module for onions ??? (says 70% germination on pack)

Has anyone overwintered Stuttgart Giant from seed - any tips please? :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 21:45:58 by supersprout »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Onion Stuttgart Giant for Autumn Sowing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 16:51:40 »
Quote; Will be sowing in modules for the first time - how many seeds would you sow in each module for onions

Do you intend planting them out at the same time as the setts?

As I understand onion seedlings they require 'heat' during their early growth period.

Meaning I am not so sure you will succeed, having said that I am thinking of the type of winters we get in my part of the world, perhaps you might fare better in your part of the country.

I for one will be interested in your results.

The other thing is; if I can buy a bag of setts for around the same price as a packet of seed, I know what option I would take.

But as they say nothing ventured - nothing gained

Regarding seeds per cell I would say 2-3 and pull out the weakest two.

Best of luck.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 17:18:42 »
Thank you Tee Gee :)

All my overwintering onions will be grown from seed this year - it was successful with Japanese varieties last year, so this is the time to experiment and see which varieties overwinter/taste good!

The lovely thing about autumn sown from seed is that if they fail, I can always plant setts in the spring ;) Thank you for your interest and advice on numbers, will let you know how we get on - and in the light of your comments about early warmth, I might sow half earlier and plant the seedlings around mid-August ::)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 14:20:13 »
I'm a bit early but have already sown some Stuttgart Giant direct, just to see what they'll do - they germinated well and at the moment are the size of very small spring onions.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 17:22:22 »
Do you plan to overwinter them jenny?
I think because they are flat that I'll sow them singly rather than in clusters. Thoughts? ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal