Author Topic: I’ve made a decision. Or not. Oh, I don’t know! (long, sorry)  (Read 3275 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: I’ve made a decision. Or not. Oh, I don’t know! (long, sorry)
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 11:11:04 »
That's interesting, SuperSprout, I didn't realise there was a book about the 30 minute allotments. Thanks.

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 13:00:12 »
Hi Bennettsleg,
                         sorry to hear about the problems you're having trying to find the time to keep up with all the jobs on the allotment.
  I can't offer much in the way of advice.I tend to have the same problem myself.There is never enough time to keep up to date with everything.I think that this time of year is the most difficult, with so many crops to plant and harvest and loads of weeds appearing from nowhere.Things will get easier and you'll feel a bit less under pressure as the season draws to a close.
  In my case, I just shrug my shoulders and try to be realistic.I know that, while I'm working full time, I'm never going to get my plot as neat and tidy as some of the other plotholders who can visit their plots every day of the week.
  Just do what you can in the time that you've got.Try not to feel pressurised into keeping up with your allotment neighbours.
   Best Of Luck-Marky :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 13:56:15 »
Same here, though I do have the advantage that it's all out of sight behind my hedges. It gets a bit better every year; I'm almost on top of it this summer.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 15:12:49 »
sometimes all it needs is to "offload" and bounce some ideas and all of a sudden your energy returns.

with a bit of planning and everyone doing their share, you feel a bit more in control and find extra oomph to tackle it all.

well done you.  big pat on the back !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 19:03:35 »
I've had my'lotment for about 20 months now - and have had two letters from the Man from the Council (one each year!). These prompt me to neglect planting and weeding my beds for a couple of weeks and concentrate on clearing foliage. This seems to keep him happy!

As an alternative to carpet (yes, I am still picking out the nylon mesh used on backing and perished rubber underlay having moved off the bloodly awful stuff) I'd now recommend biodegradable cardboard as a weed suppressant.

Thing to do is keep at it... First year  I could only manage four beds, this year it's seven.
First year I ignored my trackside border totally, this year 2/3 of it is clear and each time the nettles come back, an extra chuck of root is dug out when I remove...

Don't get disheartened... whack in something quick and reliable even if it's more than you'll use - and then when you give away the surplus to friends, invite them to come and spend a morning with you on the plot!

Cheers.

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 19:40:00 »
Strange thing about the friends they always ask how things are about harvesting time and how they would love to come and give a hand and even get quite fiesty if they think I have given away produce to peeps THEY don't think I should have done. However lovley to hear from everyone how they manage to deal with the pressure. Good luck all!!!
PS What is ironing?
Marigold

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 19:46:51 »
Hi Bennettsleg, so glad you have cheered up , just remember "all work and no play", i think you need your lottie to help you to relax and unwind.

Good luck all the best to you. Regards Rosebud.. ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 19:51:43 »
 ;D

Glad to hear you have done all these positive things Bennett! I have found that this site perks me up no end when it all gets a bit much...and not just about allotment stuff!

Well done you!!

;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 20:11:22 »
That's interesting, SuperSprout, I didn't realise there was a book about the 30 minute allotments. Thanks.

I bought that one too, and while I couldn't see myself keeping to the plan, it does make you realise that allotmenteering IS achievable.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 22:04:56 »
We don't have any kind of allotment manager, apart from a woman from the town council who comes round once a year to see if the plots are being used. having read this thread, I'm grateful! I do feel permanently guilty that my plot is so full of weeds while the next door one is immaculate, but they haven't said anything yet, although no doubt they are thinking it!

I'm thinking of just growing the easy things next year- potatoes, onions, garlic, beans & sweetcorn- to save on labour, but no doubt when next year comes I'll feel differently.

Anybody dare post a photo of their untidy/weedy but productive plot just to make us all feel better??

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2006, 22:25:20 »
when i went for a nosey up at the lottie that i'm on the list for last weekend, the secretary was there and offered to show us around.  she took us to her plot first which she's had for a year now.  I thought, i couldn't live with all these weeds !!!! and there were no neat paths, no rows to speak of, no shed, g/h and no bean trellis!

she then took us on a tour of the remainder of the plots and pointed out which ones were going to "get letters" !!!   :o  people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones i thought, and then remembered she didn't have one !!   ;D

wish i'd have taken the camera to show you all.  you'd have felt much better about yourselves !  I'm smug because mine garden was from scratch this year with about a tonne of imported compost and bark, so if i see a weed i can pull it straight away.

i think i'll get a nasty shock once i've got a plot.

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal