Author Topic: Thai Aubergines and Basil  (Read 1987 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Thai Aubergines and Basil
« on: March 25, 2004, 09:57:11 »
I got some of those small white/green thai aubergines yesterday (Not the pea ones) to use in a curry, and I was wondering if they'd grow on the balcony in a pot.
I saved a piece of aubergine with some seeds, what would I do next if I wanted to try and sow some seeds? Dry the seeds out for a while?
And does anyone know what variety of Basil is used for thai cooking? I got some from an oriental grocers, which was yum. Don't know if it was Lemon basil, Lime basil, Siam Queen (listed on Thomson & Morgan) or something else entirely.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 10:08:38 by Moggle »
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

rdak

Re:Thai Aubergines and Basil
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 09:59:32 »
there's a type of Basil called 'Thai Basil'..I grew it last year, nice taste but found it more prone to aphids than the other types I grew. Can't remember where I bought the seeds, it was a pack of four different types of basil. Think T+M do one.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 11:38:55 »
Oxford? Some protection? Sunny aspect? Worth a go! But have no idea whether you would get away with using your own seed at this stage. Stephan?? Whatever, they will like much warmth to germinate.

Thai basil? Suffolk Herbs do a Siam Queen. And 19 others!! = Tim

« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 11:39:33 by tim »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 17:23:34 »
Hi Moggle

give the aubie seeds a try although I have some severe doubts that the fruits/seed will  have been ripe enough . This year I am trying a variety called `Thai Green` from

www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk  

As for Thai basil there are a number a varieties under that banner, small leaved,well flavoured but more prone to flowering early than some other sorts.

For pot growth you might want to think about some of the `bush` basils-again small leaves but excellent flavour and more compact in habit than Genovese or Neopolitana.

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 16:17:11 »
Moggle - realise I didn't answer your question. Answer - no!.

Speaking of pot growing - we always grow our Sweet Basil in pots. About 18", with a coule of supports. = TimBut in shelter - it doesn't seem to like the garden here. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 15:13:27 »
No, our basil spends all summer in the greenhouse and all winter in the conservatory.  Always figured it needed lots of warmth, plus, in my wisdom I stuck a tray of thai basil out in the garden last year to harden during the day, with the intention of planting in pretty pot on deck, and come sundown, the lot was gone and there was a very happy snail sitting on the edge of the pot!  At least in the greenhouse I can provide some protection from the slimey suckers.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 09:00:13 »
I keep my basil on the kitchen windowsill. A couple of years ago I hardened some off and put it in a pot outside - the leaves became much tougher and didn't have as much flavour. I much prefer the indoors grown stuff!
gone to pot :D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 15:34:56 »
Thanks everyone for your tips.
Well I guess I'm going to just have to have a look around for the aubergine seeds, just being fussy really.
Same with the basil, the stuff from the oriental grocer was different to normal basil, and had more of a citrus flavour. Might try to get the Siam Queen one from Thomson and Morgan.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal