Author Topic: DIY boot scrapers  (Read 2855 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
DIY boot scrapers
« on: March 23, 2004, 10:05:06 »
When I got my plot there was a broken garden fork. It had spapped off leaving just the 4 tangs and foot bar. Good for nowt? Well, last week after getting fed up of carrying a ton of mud on my wellies, I mixed some concrete in an old washing up bowl, put the broken fork into it, points down, and let it set. Last weekend I dug a hole and plonked in the concreted fork end. What a fab boot scraper, best I've ever had. (Must take a pic of it)).

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re:DIY boot scrapers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 12:38:39 »
Very ingenious Ken! You are getting good with this concrete/plaster lark! I could do with something like that at our lottie, as by the time I have finished my boots are another 4 inches off the ground, with the wet conditions we have been suffering from recently.   ;D busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 18:15:19 »
Fab idea - when clearing the area my new shed is going in I found an old broken fork.  Just have it stuck in the ground at the moment.  Another little job for Ava!  ::)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 13:54:55 »
Methinks I might break a fork as it sounds like a brill idea and saves hosing off the ton of mud from my wellies !!  ;D   ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 14:20:07 »
I was tempted to make mine with the points up. Don't anyone do that!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 15:12:50 »
Found one broken on my plot just the other day........now wheres that bag of cement! Thanks Ken
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 15:54:07 »
Mix your concrete @ 1 cement to 1/2 coarse sand to 3 of stone. The best stone to use is 3/4 chippings. Very strong. Pour it into your bowl and put the fork in so the points slope away from you and is slightly leaning towards you. Put a lump of wood along the top to hold it in place and leave it for 5 days out of any rain.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 15:54:42 by kenkew »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal