Author Topic: Where are the ladybirds?  (Read 4293 times)

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
Where are the ladybirds?
« on: July 04, 2006, 10:41:16 »
My runner beans and toms are doubling up as blackfly nurseries this year.  >:(

I've never had much of a problem with aphids before, there are always a few but there are usually enough beasties about to keep them in check. But I haven't seen a single ladybird or hoverfly yet this year :(

I'm trying to keep up by squishing them but they are gaining the upper hand. How can I get rid of them?
You been goofin' with the bees?

vaca

• Half Acre
Re: Where are the ladybirds?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 11:29:46 »
I was just about to post a similar message, and saw this one. I'd also be interested as my broad beans were covered in thousands of blackfly and they've now discovered my runner beans. I've seen a couple of ladybirds but surely I'd need an army of ladybirds to deal with that number of blackfly.

What seems to be aggravating the problem is the ants which keep bringing the eggs up to the flowering tips... any way to get rid of the ants?

So far I've just put some french marygolds around my beans in hopes that I can recruit the army of ladybirds that I need...

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 11:32:29 »
Hi, agree entirely, apple trees, beans, roses, everything covered in aphids.......................we had loads & loads of ladybirds in March/April..........maybe they came too early as I haven't seen any for ages!
Kathi :-)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 13:08:11 »
I have the odd broad bean plant which is covered - I always do - but apart from that I'm seeing very few aphids. Not that they're ever a problem on my plot. I did see a lot of ladybirds when it first warmed up, but now I'm only seeing a few, like other people. I have spotted a few very fat-looking ladybird larvae theough.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 13:36:20 »
last year when i grew beans outside my back door i used the jet nozzle on the hose pipe to blast them into oblivion (a job i rather enjoyed) but i dont have the same luxury on the allotment and am also wondering the best course of action.  squashing is ok (if messy) on the leaves but the growing tips are too delicate for this. i would be interested in hearing others ideas.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 14:01:09 »
Instead of a hose pipe, you can use a backpack sprayer, or even a hand sprayer on "jet" mode, rather than mist. I do this, and it works.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 14:35:25 »
What seems to be aggravating the problem is the ants which keep bringing the eggs up to the flowering tips... any way to get rid of the ants?

Clove oil diluted in a watering can and then watered around the base of the plants deters the ants - apparently they hate the smell. However, do not ever do like I did last year and use it as a spray on the leaves - it kills the whole plant... :-[ :'( :-[

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 16:01:19 »
i think I may have your ladybirds. Have had lots of them. Even had to move quite a few wehen weeding the other week so as not to kill them.
Have seen several pairs mating too. Going to get one of those ladybird houses for them to stay in over winter.
Although at the other end of our site there are not as many ladybirds but I think this is to do with the chemicals a lot the older men use. I'm sure a l;ot of them were banned many years ago. ???

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 21:39:54 »
I've got loads on my aubergines in the potting shed, but things outside seem OK.

Vez if I pm you, will you pop some in a jiffy bag   ;) ;D 

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 22:06:02 »
i would happily send some in a jiffy bag. Stick in a few bits to eat I'm sure they'd be fine. ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 22:18:03 »
;D ;D ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 23:27:58 »
I've seen more Ladybirds than usual on my lottie this year,  ;D one of the blighter's even bit me to let me know they were here and my broad beans look free of pests although I think I am a little behind (careful :D ) and the slugs are keeping their little heads down :D tee hee lovely weather :D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 23:40:42 »
no blackfly or greenfly (i'm sure you're all having me on!  do they really exist ?  :P)
but no ladybirds

cue swarms of manically hungry beasties as i type !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 12:41:58 »
I have a basil in a pot at home and it was literally covered in Greenfly.  I have two hazels in the back garden which attract greenfly first and then ladybirds.  I put the basil in the backgarden overnight and the following morning, the greenfly were all white husks.  Get a hazel thats what I say.  Smallish and can be contained and only really surpassed by Oak when it comes to supporting British wildlife.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 14:09:50 »
Thanks for the article Jerry!  I agree with the idea that the prolonged cold spell early on, has killed off quite a lot of pests.  I had a massive amount of white fly and black fly last year, but on my plot this year, not a sign.  I can't believe how good my brassica's look. I'm hoping I am not being overconfident.

However I also haven't seen many ladybirds here either this year, so wonder if they too were affected.  I did have greenfly on my roses early on, but have  continually given them a squish and my roses are brilliant, with a lot less disease.  Even the plum tree in our back garden is good whereas last year I had a lot of shrivelled leaves and black fly. Hope I am not speaking too soon!  :-\ busy_lizzie
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 21:40:51 by busy_lizzie »
live your days not count your years

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 21:00:09 »
Jerry - thanks for the link, sounds like it's a local problem then.

Jenny/Sarah - I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spraying my beans, like you say the tips are so delicate. Sounds like I need to toughen up and just blast them.

Clanger - that's a really interesting idea. I will investigate further. Thanks.
You been goofin' with the bees?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 18:42:55 »
They have all emigrated to Essex then as we have zillions....okay, slight exageration, maybe just billions.  And larvae everywhere!  Such ugly suckers those larvae.  Anyhow, I do have some blackfly on one of my runner beans, but the blackfly that attacked the broadbeans were dealt with quite nicely by the ladybugs.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 20:21:02 »
spoke too soon.  found blackfly on one of the nasturtiums tonight.  should keep my mouth shut in future.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal