Author Topic: Yikes - its gone bonkers  (Read 1211 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Yikes - its gone bonkers
« on: July 23, 2006, 19:53:03 »
I'm  back from my travels (one week holiday in Sweden - exceptionally nice, one week work in USA - not so nice) and my very first priority was to visit the lottie and see whats happened since I've been away.  Heard you had really hot weather, so I was relieved to see Claire and Nick have done a really good job of watering the potting shed. 

When I left there were no courgettes - today I've picked about 10 marrow sized ones.  My artichokes have suddenly sprouted three heads.  My sweetcorn now has tassels hanging down and I have a few baby squashes and about 7 pumpkins.  My second earlies look to be ready to be harvested (all yellow / foliage dieing back.  Tomatoes have gone bonkers - I had to fight my way into the potting shed ...have decided to relocate some of the aubergines outside to give a little more room inside.

The plot looks really out of control - I spent a few hours pulling up weeds and removing the beans and peas before going home to sort out my washing !  Cannot believe how much can happen in 2 weeks .. am a little overwhelmed and in need of a recipe for courgette / marrow soup !

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Re: Yikes - its gone bonkers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:14:38 »
Agree with you there, MC.  Just back from two weeks hols in Wales.  Neighbour watered the toms and chillies and harvested the courgettes so at least those were OK but I lost 3 hydrangeas, a fern and a large pot of oregano - all done to a crisp :(.  What have flourished are the weeds though and it's too darn hot to dig 'em up with the ground rock hard.

Tim posted an ab fab recipe for courgette bread last year http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,72/topic,11825.0

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Yikes - its gone bonkers
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 19:14:34 »
I have just returned today, and found my allotment has disappeared under a jungle of weeds ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal