Author Topic: On a Slope  (Read 1385 times)

powerspade

On a Slope
« on: July 01, 2006, 17:54:48 »
My two plots run from North to South, at the moment I have always planted across the slope west to east so that I can catch the rain , would it be better to plant the other way so that the rows get a full days sun?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: On a Slope
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 18:17:33 »
In theory, yes

BUT

I runs my beds east to west too :)
The first year I sowed religiously in faffy short 1m rows north to south, but this year I have easier, long rows, east to west.
For most crops, the s'wards rows matured slightly earlier, and the n'wards ones slightly later - effortless succession and longer cropping :D Others like onions and leeks are planted in blocks, so it doesn't matter which way they are facing.
I made a mistake planting tall PSB half way up the plot last year, and rows of overwintering broadies to their north - the beans all suffered from lack of light and few survived the winter :'( Now the firm rule is to sow and plant tall crops in the north, short ones in the south. I bet any landscape gardener would know that :-[
It sounds like it's sensible to run your rows like you do, across the slope. That way they all get comparable soil conditions and rain. That's what most civilisations faced with a slope have done - all those Mayan/Japanese terraces :o
If you're keen to experiment, you could try a little patch? I have this year, and it seems to make no difference to the quality or yield, so I'm sticking to my (east to west) layout ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 18:22:43 by supersprout »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 20:56:08 »
Mostly it doesn't matter, the only things you have to watch out for are tall crops like runner beans that can shade the shorter ones.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 10:20:58 »
which can of course be used tro benefit, i.e. plant spinach and lettuce in their shade.

i would also plant across the slope in your condititions. it is more important im my opinion to keep the soil stable and catch the rain.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal