Author Topic: Freezing Strawberries?  (Read 2055 times)

Vez1

• Half Acre
Freezing Strawberries?
« on: July 01, 2006, 15:50:46 »
Can some one tell me hoe I go about freezing strawberries. Also once they've been frozen what are they like to use?

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
Re: Freezing Strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 17:23:27 »
Hi Vez. I know you can buy frozen strawbs and they sometimes and up a bit soggy when defrosted so you have to use them in cooking. and they may have been fast frozen! If your gonna freeze them in natural state you need to lay them out on a tray, pop in freezer, let freeze then put into bags.

Or you could make jam! (ask jennym for recipe!  ;))

Or you could make them into a coulis and freeze that, delicious poured onto any kind of cold desert - cheesecake, meringue, fruit, chocolate cake. or when you make ice-cream you could swirl it into it for a strawberry ripple! (if your worried about freezing it twice, dont be, supermarket fresh chicken etc suitable for freezer has already been frozen!)

Or you could freeze other fruits such as blackcurrants, raspberries etc and mingle them all together for a forest fruits recipe

Good luck

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 17:32:58 »
Or mix them with other fruits, make into a summer pudding and freeze that.  Or strawberry icecream, or as littlegem says as a sauce.

Frozen strawberries taste more like strawberry jam when defrosted, certainly don't freeze as well as raspberries etc.

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 18:56:50 »
Thanks for the ideas they all sound good. I wasn't sure about freezing them but knew rasberries were ok.
Have had a good crop of strawbs so far and still more to come, never knew you could actually have too many strawberries. ;D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 09:34:55 »
As i wanted to make jam with mine but didnt have any jars... i just cooked mine up for a few minutes and mashed them - and then put them in a tuperware container into the freezer.

Wheni get some jars i'll cook them up with jam sugar - i dont usually like defrosted whole strawberrise - they go all mushy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 23:54:04 »
I'm going to bottle some, altho soft, they hold their shapes and taste heavenly!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal