Author Topic: Cherry Aphids  (Read 1520 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Cherry Aphids
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:06:29 »
Suddenly spotted yesterday that the outermost leaves on my new cherry tree were all shriveled. A closer check revealed a mass of black aphids. I have sprayed with Greenfly Plus, but is there anything else I should do? None of my other trees are affected.
JeremyB

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Cherry Aphids
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 19:33:11 »
Black fly on cherries are a nuisance.  I don't really like to spray anything we eat.  They only usually attack the tender tips of the new growth.  We tend to cut them off, and put them in the recycle bin.

We get them most years, but for some reason we have not had them this year.  I just wish I knew what we'd done, so we could do it again next year!

valmarg

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 08:49:41 »
I got those too - blasted them with soft soap spray and the leaves seem to be recovering a bit. Least it stops the cherry getting too big too fast!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 16:35:34 »
This is the first year I have planted these trees, and as advised, removed all the fruit at an early stage (Quite prolific!), so will I do more good than harm in taking the top shoots off?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal