Author Topic: Some holiday help, information, ideas etc., please?  (Read 3317 times)

Yellow Petals

Some holiday help, information, ideas etc., please?
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:36:48 »
I hope it's ok to post this here.  I can't post it on my own site because my husband is also a member over there and I don't want him to know!

It's our son's 21st birthday in January and what I am thinking I'd like to do is book a holiday abroad somewhere really exciting and special for him.  Also, I'd like this to be a treat for my husband too as he works so darn hard all year round and barely does anything to please himself.

I'm going to make it a joint Christmas/21st/husbands birthday (his birthday is in January too) surprise.  I will have a generous amount of money to use (am still saving, hoping to book in December so have another five months of money to gather yet - in addition to selling my soul to eBay! LOL)  Will also be taking one of son's best mates.

I would like some helpful advice or ideas about good places to go.  I want somewhere that will have lots to do.  Trips, beaches, swimming, scuba diving, clubs/pubs, local attractions, hot weather, boat trips, restaurants, activities, hot air ballooning, nature, things that 21yr olds like to do other than the above etc, etc, you get the picture.

Without wishing to sound rude, I don't want to pick anywhere like Greece, Cyprus etc because although my son will be 21, he isn't the sort of chap who will want to spend 10 days or so just swimming, beaching and drinking.  Don't get me wrong, he does like all that, but not fo 10 days with nowt else to do, especially as he will have just one friend with him.  That's the sort of stuff you go away with your mates for, in a big group?

I want something memorable for them.  Something spectacular.

Anyway, any help much appreciated.  Thanks  :) 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:38:33 by Yellow Petals »

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Some holiday help, information, ideas etc., please?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:52:07 »
If I was to choose somewhere that fits your specification I would look at Thailand, Malaysia or Kenya, perhaps a two centre break to make sure you had everything you wanted.  At least you are looking early so have more choice.  There is certainly ballooning in both Kenya and Thailand I know - flying over the Masai Mara must be amazing!  The weather should be fine in the Far East at that time of year, it's always warm!  There will be diving, clubs boat trips etc, lovely food etc, the most glorious beaches.  Lots to do.  I wish I could go instead of Cornwall.  Whatever you choose YP have a wonderful time, it will be a lovely suprise for them! :)

Yellow Petals

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 13:16:36 »
Thank you Tulippa, I have to admit, I've been taking a big interest in Kenya.  I've looked at a few brochures and information online but I don't think my funds will stretch that far unless I can find a last minute bargain.  The prices for Africa more than double between now and January, grrrrr! 

I neglected to point out that I hope for some of the activities mentioned but know that I probably wouldn't find all of them, LOL!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 13:26:50 »
I'm sorry, I am a bit out of touch on prices, three teenage children make those sort of holidays out of our reach!  I just dream....

One day I shall get to Kenya - I have flown over the Lions of Longleat in a balloon, I suppose that is the nearest I shall ever get!

Would the far east be cheaper in January?  I am not sure, I expect there are others far more qualified than me to answer your question, I just enjoyed thinking about your post and imagining myself there...  Better get back to the job in hand now!

Good luck with your research. T.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 13:33:09 »
Tulippa, no need to apologise, my comment re prices was just a general one really, wasn't in response to your post.  I'm very happy you chose to respond.

I know what you mean re being able to afford holidays.  I've never been abroad before and I am 39.  We've never been able to afford it.  I remember the days when we couldn't even afford a day trip to Southend, hehe. 

I would never be able to afford to go abroad now if not for the amount of "stuff" I've been selling on ebay!  People just seem to buy any old thing these days (luckily for me) and I've been putting in some overtime at work and sneakily drawing the money back out in bits and bobs into my savings account  ;D

This really would be a dream if I could pull it off hence my wish to make it something special because I know we'll never get to do it ever again.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 13:59:12 »
my parents live in the fethiye area of turkey, we're going next weekend and we will be kite surfing, diving, white water rafting, boat trips, looking at ruins, walking though a gorge, visiting sites of interest. jumping off a mountain attached to a man with a parachute, visiting bars and beaches (there are clubs), oh and looking at the turtles that are just starting to nest.

worth a look, but the season starts in may really.

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 13:59:56 »
Have you considered Mexico?  One of my friends got married there and absolutely loved it.  They did scuba diving and some other water sports

Or the caribbean islands?

I don't know about prices for either of these places, just thinking about some of the available attractions

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 16:31:53 »
I went to Goa around xmas. absolutely fantastic, cheap and interesting. We got a late booking that cost £300 fortnight. mind you that was about 8 years ago. bloke and his mrs i know through work have even emigrated there.  The north is more touristy. we stayed in the middle, Colva, our beach was 22 miles long! a 3 course meal cost about £2 and the natives are catholic indian/portugese and really friendly (we even went to a birthday party).  I would thoroughly recommend it. went on a dolphin expedition and everything, fantastic. and on the plus side beer was cheap aswell. and its for all ages, I was 24 at the time and there was all ages there enjoying it.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 16:56:46 »
Couldn't resist this - hanging over our house. No wind.

Sorry to interrupt!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 18:00:34 »
I went to Lanzarotte last Jan and it was so layed back I nearly fell over. The trip through the national park is out of this world. Fishing, swimming, water skiing, whale watching, nightclubs, good food, in fact every thing you want.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 22:09:06 »
what about the caribbean, places and people are lovely

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 23:18:07 »
Sam Can't really help but what a lovely plan. Whatever you decide on I wish you the greatest holiday/adventure of your life..oops and your son and husband of course..Afraid my diary of holidaying abroad only amounts to New York, Majorca , Turkey (wasn't keen on Turkey probably wrong part) and Northern Spain. Oh and our very first trip abroad Tunisia.. such poverty.
Good luck. Keep us up to date with your plans. How exciting.
Lorna

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 08:30:44 »
Goa is supposed to be gorgeous! Will def get there one day.

Then there is Australia - you cant beat Australia for a SPECIAL holiday. Barrier Reef, Rainforest, dessert.

Let us know what you decide!

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 09:21:21 »
New Zealand sounds like the ultimate destination for what you have described ... wish I could come too

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 21:32:30 »
Sam ;)

Wish you lots of Luck with your plans great idea wonderful surprise

I would also say New Zealand  nice tip from Tim maybe include that
as a joint present for Son and Hubby in New Zealand over the Scenary From
Lord of the Rings!!  Just a suggestion Hope it helps. :o
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Yellow Petals

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 22:11:13 »
Thank you all for your helpful comments and ideas, I really appreciate it.

my parents live in the fethiye area of turkey, we're going next weekend and we will be kite surfing, diving, white water rafting, boat trips, looking at ruins, walking though a gorge, visiting sites of interest. jumping off a mountain attached to a man with a parachute, visiting bars and beaches (there are clubs), oh and looking at the turtles that are just starting to nest.

worth a look, but the season starts in may really.

Turkey is not somewhere I'd have thought about enjoying those things but that's just my ignorance of the country really!  Legless, is there any chance you could find out from your parents if these kinds of things are available during January/Feb and also what the climate would be like?  Thanks.

Couldn't resist this - hanging over our house. No wind.

Sorry to interrupt!!

Tim, super picture.  I remember when Michael was much younger and we were over the local park.  A hot air balloon went floating over so low that we could see its passengers smiling at us whilst waving!  Brilliant!

New Zealand sounds like the ultimate destination for what you have described ... wish I could come too

Mc55 and Mike, I had never thought of New Zealand that way (again, my ignorance) I think having never gone abroad, I don't tend to focus much on what activities would be available elsewhere.  It's another one to jot down and investigate but I feel it may well be out of my price range.  Do either of you have any more information from personal experience at all please?  Thanks :)

India and Mexico I don't think would be up Michael or Hugh's street so to speak.  I would love to go to India one day but probably not for this trip.

Thanks again everyone and any more comments very much appreciated.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 22:43:30 »
Sam, I can't come up with any suggestions I'm afraid, but certainly the airfares will be a big factor and also the insurance - there'll be loading for the more adventuresome sports. I'm interested in what Legless comes up with about Turkey. :)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 17:03:23 »
i'll let you know yellow petals.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal