Author Topic: choosing a greenhouse  (Read 1898 times)

clara

• Not So New ...
choosing a greenhouse
« on: June 10, 2006, 23:24:03 »
I have a decent size vegetable garden but am entirely new to the world of greenhouses. I have the space, and am eager to try peppers aubergine tomatoes under glass etc.  as well as seedlings. 
I would welcome any advice on how to start thinking about what sort of greenhouse, what are the essentials to consider, size, how much I should expect to spend, pitfalls, what to look out for etc etc ... 
Please let me know your experiences
 :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: choosing a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 14:01:55 »
It opens up a whole new world of gardening Clara. First decision is what can you afford? You cover a lot more area with a polytunnel. However much you have you will always want more... I started with a 8'x6' Eden Greenhouse then soon had to get a second, now have an 8'x10' poly as well and want a second!

;D

(a)ndy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 17:20:39 »
I had spent months looking at new greenhouses and then after reading a post on this forum I decided to look at second hand ones.

At my first look I managed to pick up a second hand 10' x 16' for £150. Not bad considering I was looking at around £2k for a similar sized new one.

The only downside is that it took a couple of days to dismantle and I had to buy a few more panes of glass (£200 worth). I also spent £100 on some automatic vents.

I had only finished assembly with all the glass, etc. at the start of May. Now I am absolutely delighted with it and have tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, sweetcorn, beetroot, lettuce, broccoli, sun flowers, cucumbers and some flowers growing well.

I would definitely recommend second hand. Save your money and have a look in the local papers and/or for sale websites.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 18:03:24 »
Whether you buy new or second hand, go for the biggest you can afford/accommodate.  OH started off with a 6' x 4'.  To be honest it was like a tall cold frame.  I had suggested he wait until we could afford something bigger, but he insisted on buying it.

From that we have graduated up to an 8' x 6', an 8' x 10', and 8' x 12' and finally to a 20' x 12'.  We have kept the 8' x 10' as well, and to be honest, we still struggle to find space for everything.  That's why, when choosing, go for the biggest.  From experience, whatever size you get, you will soon fill it.  That's the down-side.  The upside is the sheer enjoyment of it all.

Hope you get your greenhouse soon, and start to enjoy!

valmarg

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 19:29:53 »
I was lucky enough to find a second hand one for sale in ebuygumbay (thank you Melbourne12 :-*)
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,17281.0
It's about the same size as (a)ndy's, thank goodness - I didn't really think about it. Go for the biggest you can afford! And if you do get a second hand one, make sure you have willing helpers for several sessions :P
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 19:40:45 by supersprout »

Growbe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 02:12:53 »
Of course go for the largest you can afford, but consider staging and how you will use the space.

I have spent as much on staging as I did on the original greenhouse. I have loads of aluminum shelves and a table just to maximise the space inside.

I would also recommend thinking about where you will be potting up and handling seedlings, all my work is done in the greenhouse but I hope to move that to the back of the garage next season to make even more room. ;)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 22:57:36 »
Oh Growbe, couldn't agree more!!

Buying a greenhouse is like buying a house - you need to furnish it.  It's costly, but over the years you collect together your bits and bobs.  It might take time, but you will eventually have your ideal gardening/growing 'station'.

Gardening is not a cheap hobby, but the rewards make it so worthwhile.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal