Author Topic: ? wireworm  (Read 2648 times)

SandraH

? wireworm
« on: June 28, 2006, 23:14:14 »
I have a new allotment plot this year, which had not been cultivated for years,it has lots of couch grass which has been painfully been dug and I have made raised beds.
I put early rocket potatoes in middle of March which have been harvested but many had small holes with what looked like small white worms with brown tips is this wireworm? and if so  how do I get rid of it as I am now digging my 5th raised bed and have seen them in the soil? ???
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 23:19:16 by SandraH »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: ? wireworm
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:46:15 »
Time. I'm not sure whether there's anything that kills them, but after about five years they vanish of their own accord. It gets a bit better each year.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 15:30:33 »
Hi sandraH, I to took on a plot that was full of couch and I to have raised beds. before I planted my chitted potatoes I made wire worm traps out of old potatoes and put a stick through them and scored them. I then planted them deep down the middle of the beds, I got the idea from a post on this web site. the post then said to pull them out and discard but I have left mine in hoping that the wire worm will go for these rather than the potatoes I have planted on the tops of the beds and covered with compost. I will let you know if it works :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 22:00:55 »
Interested to see if raised beds/sacrificial spiud idea worked. We have cleared more ground (previously grazed/couch combination....so worried re wireworm and spuds....would raised spud frame (from pallets) work too?
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal