Author Topic: How do I make my own water butt?  (Read 2445 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
How do I make my own water butt?
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:43:12 »
Thought this might be of interest especially if you live in or near Cheshire :)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/water/story/0,,1766214,00.html

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: How do I make my own water butt?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 15:36:25 »
This made me smile, and I have to confess to a wrong doing a while back.  Convoluted story about to begin:  I ordered a water butt from a firm who was selling them cheaply through our Council.  I arranged for them to deliver it to a house near to where my allotment is situated, so I wouldn't have to carry it from my house to my plot. That sounds straight forward doesn't it?  Then started a whole lot of confusion, as after 6 weeks it still hadn't been delivered,  and when I rang the firm up they said it had been delivered but taken away again as the houseowner had a different name to the one on the order form.  ??? When I explained again what had been arranged, they said they would re-deliver it.

Another month went by and no water butt, so I rang again and said to save the confusion to just deliver it to my home and I would carry it over to my plot on the wheelbarrow.  A fortnight passed and hurrah!!, the water butt arrived at my house, and then another fortnight passed and  ??? another one arrived.   So I had two water butts, and being the upstanding and honest citizen I am, I rang the firm and told them.  They said to just leave it in the drive and they would collect the extra one, but when I said "what if it  is stolen"?,  the person on the phone said, that they would bear the responsibility of that.  I left it on my drive, and waited and waited and a few months went by and it was still there, -  so I thought to "heck" with this - I may as well keep it, and a year later still no sign of them but lots of nice water in my water butt - I think I can claim it on moral grounds!!   Looking at this article I doubt they would be so lax today!  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 13:17:10 »
Ive just used my old kitchen bin as the lid went on it.

M J B

• Not So New ...
    • http://www.mjb-allotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 16:53:56 »
I recently read you can make one out of old tyres. (i think it was in GYO) Cut the edge of the tyre, fold it inside out, stack a few on top of each other. Put a few bin bags inside and jobs a gooden.

greenfingered fiend

• Not So New ...
  • It's not much - but it's mine!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 22:17:48 »
Not sure if you're still after a water butt.

I have a few farmer friends who buy liquid fertilizer. It comes in big plastic barrels the same size as traditional butts.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 08:39:03 »
I have plenty now thanks GF, but recycled containers could be a little goldmine for you and your fiend :D

landgirl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 17:18:36 »
Hello! First time on site and had to sign up to respond to this question.

I would look out for baths in skips or go into your local plumbing shop, they skip them all the time. Just need transport. Great for water storage and growing stuff in. Just cover with netting in spring to prevent frog spawn!
Things to do, plants to see, on the land, happy to be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal