Author Topic: Despite all this wind and rain...  (Read 2168 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Despite all this wind and rain...
« on: March 22, 2004, 14:14:59 »
I've really noticed how much everything has shot up in the garden over the past week.

My garlics are looking like proper little plants now, rather than weak, weedy things. Loads more spring bulbs are out (I'm particularly happy with my Narcissi off the cereal box - really pretty, delicate and unusual), the forsythia is flowering for the first time (it's a baby), the clematis has loads of growth....

Only trouble is the weeds are also growing at this amazing rate. Must get that hoe out again!

Is your garden full of the joys of spring too?
gone to pot :D

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re:Despite all this wind and rain...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 17:49:55 »
yeah, you can almost watch the rhubarb grow and my onions and garlic are huge!

isn't it exciting?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 18:46:30 »
In my garden the weeds are DEFINETLY growing faster than the plants.  ::)

Still i am starting to get to grips with them now that the weather is better.  ;D

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 08:13:52 »
I have a bit of garlic and lots of chives in my garden that are doing really well, as well as the garlic and onions in the lottie - my back garden is SW facing, and incredibly sheltered - I tried sowing a few dill seeds a week or so ago, which is probably far too early officially, especially up here, but they've come up beautifully.  My masses of chives are going to be divided soon and a lot replanted under the roses in the front garden to see if the lore is true!  I'm itching to get out and start some serious garden work, but my soil is so solid clay and the rain keeps coming I'll wreck it further if I try - frustrating isn't it?

jethro

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 08:21:51 »
Chives are doing well, the rhubarb is nearly ready for picking, the Kelsae onions are the size of tennis balls  ;D the leeks are the size of pencils, and the seed trays are all ready for pricking out. So i'm going to be a busy boy over the weekend. The only trouble is like Ceri my soil is like clay so i'll have to sort that out first before i can plant anything  :-\ , i'll have to get some manure (about 8 ton) and dig that in, then some grit (about 12 ton) and then rotovate it all. After all that i'll need a holiday or a good nurse to sort all the aches and pains  ;D :P .

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 10:29:22 »
Dicentra, phlox, lupins, delphiniums, clematis, hydrangea all shooting nicely.  My copsey area is awash with little blue violets, primroses, and polyanthus.  Herbs in pots (chives, parsley, bronze fennel, thyme, sage, blackcurrant sage, hissop, taragon, and mint) all growing well.  Potted up a dozen tomato plants - so all in all quite pleased with the way everything is shaping up this spring :D :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal