Author Topic: Disasters  (Read 6299 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Disasters
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2006, 13:55:56 »
One scary spot - rear of plot 2, acquired in December. Points of note: tangle of metal rubbish left by previous tenant (welded to ground by roots and weeds), undug (and undiggable) ground, fruitless brambles and scorzonera expiring in a builder's bag. Never again :-[ :'(

One bright spot - two squash (labels lost) enjoying their builders bag - even then, no lay-dee flowers yet >:(

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2006, 13:59:11 »
We'll have to set up a suash dating agency, SS ;D! I have lots of ladies but no gentlemen.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2006, 14:00:54 »
chuckle - charming idea, ladies in floral dresses and straw hats jumping on trains with large pots 'in season' ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2006, 14:38:53 »
Loads of my first earlies failed to come up (Rockets) - and the ones that did look a bit sick. The same thing happened to my dad last year, think i might give Charlton park a miss next year...
Snipped quote a bit

Keef:-
I only just registered this comment. Charlton Park? As in the potato day supplier?
I got some Pink Fir Apples from that day which looked darned peculiar and which are now causing some concern (see thread
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,28/topic,21782.0
where there's a piccy).

I also had some Rockets bought from them at the Potato day and one looked awful with odd whitish patches after it had been chitting for a week or three, so I cut it in half and the inside was riddled with dryish rot and tunnels. At the time I assumed it had been eaten and binned them all. But now I read your article - was it a bad batch or something infected the rest or...?

moonbells

edit 12/7 After a conversation at the plots last night, it seems that the Edzell Blues I bought at the same time for a friend are also a bit odd - they've all gone a dark brown *under* the leaves! She is now watching them carefully, but another coincidence? All her other spuds were bought at the HDRA Potato day in Coventry, and are fine.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 10:46:10 by moonbells »
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal