Author Topic: feeling a bit down  (Read 3138 times)

mr plasma

• Half Acre
feeling a bit down
« on: July 07, 2006, 21:51:05 »
complete novice here. as i said in my earlier posting,i have just been offered an allotment i am seeing the site secretary this sunday to have a look at it before signing for it. i visited it tonight and looked over the fence to what appears to be a plot earmarked for me covered in bindweed. should i take it on or forget it
i have looked on the internet and the control of bindweed seems to be an impossible task i hope its not a lost cause as im  desperate for an allotment and dont know how long i will have to wait if i turn this down please advise me as what to do

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: feeling a bit down
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 22:32:14 »
If it was not covered in bindweed, it would be covered in thistles, docks, nettles, mare's tail, couch or a host of other invasive weeds. Or possibly, like on my plot, a mixture of the lot. The essence is, that you will need to control the weed population by careful attention - but it can be done, as thousands of allotment gardeners prove all the time. The weed population always looks at its worst at this time of year, but think about the obverse, it makes lots of material for composting ...

Once you accept this basic premise, everything else is easy ...

If the plot looks suitable for your needs, then take it.

Good luck  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 22:48:00 »
Bindweed is controllable, though it takes for ever to finally exterminate it. Dig out as much as you can; you won't get it all, as the roots break easily, can go really deep, and grow from the smallest bit. Keep pulling it out as it appears, and dig again when you get a chance. Keep repeating until it's gone.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 22:51:43 »
The question you need to ask is "do I want to be Organic?" as it makes a huge difference to how you deal with the plot initially.

If you don't, then glyphosate the lot on a *very* calm day, as the spray goes further than you think and you don't want to accidentally kill off the neighbouring plots!

If you do, it's dig down as far as you can, removing as much as possible and putting it into black plastic bags to decompose. And repeat when it reappears. You'll eventually get it all.

moonbells (good luck and welcome)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 22:54:13 »
Alternatively, get yourself a plastic barrel. Pile the bindweed roots in there, and fill with water. Leave it for a few weeks to ferment, and it makes lovely liquid manure.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 23:05:14 »
In praise of bindweed:
I don't dig (except to aerate), so I will never get rid of the bindweed. I've learned to live with it and treat it as an annual weed, and just hoe it off, or cover in black plastic or ground cover so there's no need to hoe. Or, with a thick mulch, it's a doddle to pull out of moist soil.
All those perennial roots are helping hold moisture in the soil and hold it together.
Where I allow it to grow and flower, it looks so pretty, like a miniature morning glory. In fact I'll take a pic tomorrow!
If it ever gets out of hand, glyphosate will knock it back for a long time.

Curry is right - there are many, many worse weeds you could find on your plot. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 23:07:01 by supersprout »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 23:28:49 »
i have a hatred of the stuff due to having lived as a kid in a house with a garden overgrown with the stuff. Death to all bindweed!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 23:32:43 »
Grab  the plot, I am sure you can lick it into shape.  Allotments are becoming so popular now that even getting one so covered with weeds is worthwhile.  I have bindweed surrounding my plot and it is horrible, but I keep it under control organically, by digging out as much as I can.  It is a tricky time of the year as everything is growing like mad as Curry says, but once winter comes and things start to fall back, you will feel much more able to cope with it. Make a start now by clearing a patch and putting some brassicas in, and a few other autumn /winter vegs, you can also still do lots of salad stuff.  Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

mr plasma

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 23:42:26 »
thanks for all your encouragement..............im gonna go for it :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 09:35:21 »
Good for you!! Good luck mr. plasma!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 12:15:01 »
Good luck mr p, remember those 'before' photos ;D

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 13:22:22 »
Take the plot. Bindweed isn't all that bad. A good covering of roundup will get rid of most of it and then you can dig out or spray what is left.  The thing that is awful, no evil and you are probably fighting loosing battle with is Marestail. horribly stuff. Dig out? Hah! People have found the roots going down ten feet...and they still haven't found the end of the roots.  :o

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 15:32:22 »
Completely agree with Sarah - take the plot.  Bindwind roots are fairly shallow and easy to spot and respond appropriately to Roundup by dying ;D  You can tell that I have a plot infested by the evil Horsetail.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 15:51:38 »
this plot you're contemplating...wouldn't be in Hertford would it?  There's a big pile of bindweed masquerading as a plot on our site!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 18:03:55 »
Don't worry too much even if it is just a pile of bindweed. When I took mine on, parts of it were thick with roots, like great white ropes twistying everywhere when I dug. There are only little bits now, and every year I get rid of more.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 15:30:15 »
if you take the plot offered just now, you should be able to move to another on the site if it becomes available.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 22:10:09 »
Bindweed is the biggest pest on my allotment- i've got every type of weed, but at least the others don't try to strangle my plants. ( I know, I should do a better job at weeding!). just wondering, is there a best time of year for digging it up?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 22:27:06 »
 :-\

Scary weeds? My experience says dig em up whenever you see them, as often as you can, and keep on and on digging them!!

Sorry to sound desperate...couch grass is my only excuse!

;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 09:06:37 »
Thanks, I just wondered if digging them when they are in full growing mood just encourages them to fight back, whereas digging them in the winter might be more time-effective.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 13:43:08 »
Bindweed is the biggest pest on my allotment- i've got every type of weed, but at least the others don't try to strangle my plants. ( I know, I should do a better job at weeding!). just wondering, is there a best time of year for digging it up?

Hi Caroline, I think you have a good point about timing. On beds, I treat bindweed as an annual - either hoeing it off, or pulling it out whenever I spot it.

Around the edges of plot and paths, my bindweed is in full flower - I love the pretty flowers and healthy green leaves :). When they're flowering freely, I'll pick a dry, still day and go round with the roundup 8). If there's any trying to sprout after two or three weeks, it gets another go. That seems to sort it out - until it pops up somewhere else.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal