Author Topic: WATER PUMPING  (Read 1768 times)

superstat

• Not So New ...
WATER PUMPING
« on: June 26, 2006, 10:08:54 »
HI ALL,

OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS I HAVE LUGGED GALLONS OF WATER UP AND DOWN MY ALLOTMENT AND BEINGS ITS A GOOD 40M FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER IM BECOMING RATHER LAZY.....

JUST A POST TO SEE IF ANYONE EMPLOYS A PUMPING TYPE SYSTEM THAT RUNS ON A NETWORK OF HOSES TO FEED THE BEDS....? IF SO HOW HAVE YOU DONE IT AND DO YOU THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE A SYSTEM WITH NO ELECTRICITY SUPPLY?

ALSO HOW DO PEOPLE COPE WHEN YOUR WATER BUTTS RUN OUT? I HAD 4 FULL TO THE BRIM WHEN I TOOK OVER MY PLOT AND NOW IM DOWN TO AROUND HALF A BARREL....HELP!!!

ANY HELP ON THIS TOPIC WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.....AND SORRY IF I COVERING OLD GROUND....
Regards,

AJ

keef

• Hectare
Re: WATER PUMPING
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:47:38 »
You might be able to rig somthing up using a syphon (ie but your butts up on bricks) You would need some kind of power supply to run a timer and open up and shut a valve when you want to water - but a car battery would probably last ages as you would'nt need much current. You might get a few funny looks rigging it all up though...

If you have a hosepipe ban, you can still  fill water butts with a "short" length of hose from a tap... but how long "short" is, is up to you...

I'm about 100m from the tap - and just make do with lugging water about.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 10:49:08 »
I wonder whether all this watering is really necessary? I don't water, and what I find is that the only things that suffer in a drought are young roots that haven't gone deep yet, seedlings and shallow-rooted stuff like lettuces and spinach. Everything else thrives despite it. If I wasn't so bogged down with GCSE marking I'd probably be doing some selective watering, but I don't think I'd ever water more than a few beds.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 11:07:09 »
I'm convinced i would have lost my runners if i had'nt been watering them, they've been really struggling to get going this year. It has been very very dry in my area - no rain for at least 6-7 weeks. I dont water everything - just things that look like they need it, young plants, my tomatos and gourgettes.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:10:03 »
keef - 'short' in the Thames area is 2m. I didn't know that there was a restriction on length till I checked today. And they then had to check.

Someone please tell me what difference length (hose) makes??

Oh, & repeat - if you don't put at least 2l on each plant, you're wasting your time!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:12:28 by tim »

superstat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:19:40 »
HEY, ONLY TROUBLE IS OUR SITE DOESNT HAVE A TAP...OR ELECTRIC..OR ANYTHING MUCH TO BE HONEST HEHE....

SOME THINGS CAN DO WITHOUT WATER I AGREE BUT MY PEAS ARE STRUGGLING BIG TIME...

THANKS GUYS....
Regards,

AJ

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 13:29:19 »
Our big test of chauffeur driving was taking a domestic water storage tank of water the 1/2 mile up the cart-track to the allotments in a Mk1 Landrover - without flooding the back of it. But I eventually got water laid on.

barrowbob

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 13:48:41 »
Keef  You might be able to rig somthing up using a syphon (ie but your butts up on bricks) You would need some kind of power supply to run a timer and open up and shut a valve when you want to water -

Our local Lidl's had timers last week - no power/battery needed so I suspect they're probably clockwork
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

superstat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 12:04:57 »
has anyone used or seen a hozelock auto watering kit? ive had a look and imagine that most of the water would escape in the first few holes......?
Regards,

AJ

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 12:23:59 »
I use a auto watering kit with time at home, not at the allotment. I don’t think the standard kit will work from a water butt as it requires a certain level of water pressure which when combined with the bespoke drippers gives even water along the whole line.

There are also water butt dripper kits on the market, I am about to install a 10m kit in the greenhouse at the allotment in preparation for a 2 week holiday.

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/WBDK.htm

I will be setting it up soon to make sure it works and with plenty of time so I can adjust it prior to leaving in August.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 12:43:57 »
I was going to say buy the water butt pipe direct but they've sold out!

http://www.gardensystems.co.uk/products.asp?type=Water%20Butt%20Pipe

for reference... also here is where you get the accessories like filters or extra connectors.

moonbells
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 12:46:58 by moonbells »
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

superstat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 14:21:32 »
thanks...really helpful.....sandersj89 you'll have to let me know how your kit goes once installed..thanks again for the information..

out of interest is it fairly normal for allotments to have a communal tap?

and does anyone have any experience of trying to get a tap installed?

regards,
aj
Regards,

AJ

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 16:37:33 »
Firstly, it may be of interest that Wilko have 7M drip hoses at 2 for £1.50.

Secondly, I'd hate to think how much it costs to have mains water installed these days if you haven't already got a supply.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal