Author Topic: Rain  (Read 3084 times)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Rain
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 20:59:08 »
Well here - just outside of Reading, we had horrible light drizzle most of the morning which didn't seem as if it would be much use but then!....just as Wimbledon was about to get going.....down came the heavier stuff and it's been nice and steady all afternoon - quite a lot of puddles about so guess it's been really useful.

Stopped about teatime tho so think maybe we've had our lot for time being  ???....pity, cos we need loads more!

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 08:17:37 »
Well it rained nearly all day yesterday, just got back from my lottie - it all looks nice and green but its only the 1st couple of inches thats wet, below that dust again!

ahh well back out with the watering can!!

matt

amphibian

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 08:27:43 »
Well it rained nearly all day yesterday, just got back from my lottie - it all looks nice and green but its only the 1st couple of inches thats wet, below that dust again!

ahh well back out with the watering can!!

matt

It's the same at mine... oh well maybe Wimbledon will bring us more rain.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 08:38:51 »
The pavement's wet this morning, but it doesn't look as though it's rained that much. It's something anyway, but we need it in buckets.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 08:40:08 »
Despite a day of drizzle, only 2mm. Hasn't gone in half an inch.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 09:42:48 »
We had 2.5mm for the second time this week.

I remember in the first of the How to Be a Gardener programmes, Mr T showed that an inch of water goes down 6 inches, so we'd need a good couple of inches here to make any appreciable difference to the soil conditions. More, perhaps, since I don't think the experiment assumed bone-dry dust to begin with...

I am not watering the established plants though this year - I'm trying to teach them to fend for themselves, in case we get a drought order and can't water at all. Still watering the seedlings though.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal