Author Topic: Swedes  (Read 1097 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Swedes
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:57:54 »
Everyone on our allotments tells me that they cannot grow swedes, and as this is my first attempt at them, and I have 24 in modules, does anyone have any tips?

I also have 40ish turnips, I presume that any advice would also apply to these  ???

We are on heavy clay soil, if that matters.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

keef

• Hectare
Re: Swedes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 13:10:50 »
I grew them in modules for the first time this year - planted them out in May and there going really well now. Up till now i've sowed them direct and not had much success.

The only thing i'd say is cover them with netting if you have pigeons about (like all brassicas) - or they'll get stripped.

The small mesh green netting from Wilko's is good because the mesh it quite fine - and will probably stop cabbage white butterflys getting in aswell.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 16:14:12 »
A chap on our site told me the only way to grow swedes is with friends!  Therefore, he sows his with the rest of his brassicas, closely!  I am trying, but once again, it is looking like mine have failed.

Turnips on the other hand have done really well.  Watch the flea beetles as they will decimate the leaves early on and the plants may not recover.  I used one light dusting of derris, and they have thrived since then.  Mine were called snowball.  :)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 20:24:15 »
We use a lot of swede- grow them every year direct into ground.  Only thing I would say is that I do sow very thickly and so have to thin pretty drastically!  May seem extravagant but it seems to work - oh and I keep the seedlings watered.

Did try growing in modules once but didn't seem worth the bother as we had fewer plants and they did seem a funny shaped - bit like a big lightbulb!

Love our clapshot - mmmmmm
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

lgxkls

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 13:58:17 »
I also have a row of swede and its the first time that I have grown them and so have some questions.
They are very tightly packed. How much should I thin them and how do I do this. Do I just pull some up or should I just cut off the tops with scissors.
Do I have to worry about carrot fly, the pidgeons were a pest to start with but seem to be leaving them alone now.
Thanks for any help
Karon

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 18:21:43 »
Hi

I didn't do any good with swedes until I started to give them plenty of space,at least a foot either way,then they compared with the farmers.

Cover them with fleece/netting when young,and sprinle some lime around if you have clubroot.

Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal