Author Topic: Cider storage  (Read 2302 times)

jeremyf

• Quarter Acre
Cider storage
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:59:59 »
Whats the best way to store cider?

I pulped a load of cider apples last year and put the 60L of juice into 3 containers and racked them few times. Tried the stuff for the first time yesterday and it was lovely so siphoned one container full into plastic pop bottles with minimum of air disturbance and filled to the top and put in the fridge - how long will these last? The other 2 containers have a large sediment - will it be ok to leave them for a few months like that until the first batch is consumed?

Also, is there any advantage in buying a container that will accept a CO2 cartridge? Is this normally to help dispensing, make the drink fizzy or preserving

questions questions

thanks

Jeremy

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Cider storage
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 12:50:46 »
I’ve only made cider a couple of times, but we do brew beer regularly, and some of the questions are common to both.

The main dangers to the “shelf life” are secondary fermentation and stray yeasts and moulds that will spoil the drink and turn it to vinegar (or worse).  I take it that you’re not too worried about a bit of oxidation or a bit of cloudiness.

If you’ve bottled the cider in sterile plastic bottles they should keep for several weeks.  Beware of any signs that fermentation is restarting, since the bottles won’t be strong enough to contain much pressure.

Personally, I’d rack the big containers again rather than leave the cider lying on a layer of dead yeast, which will eventually give it an off-flavour.

I’ve experimented with the plastic barrels with a CO2 bulb.  Really, they’re intended to keep the headroom full of CO2 as a naturally sparkling drink is dispensed.  They work well for the livelier beers, but since cider is usually not very gassy you’ll find it a very expensive exercise to keep replacing the little bulbs as the level in the barrel drops.  The other problem is that unless you’ve got a dedicated fridge, you can’t keep the barrel cold.  If you prefer your cider chilled, I think that it’s better to use bottles.  I have to say that although we still use our plastic barrels, they’re used for bitters and brown ales that are drunk at room temperature, and I gave up the Sparklets bulbs and went back to a plain lid.

jeremyf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 14:11:51 »
Thanks for that - I'm still puzzled about this shelf life though. Why is the shelf life only several weeks if I put it into bottles but if I rack the cider it lasts longer - is it because of the volume of cider?

I was reluctant to rack the remaining cider as it would introduce more air into it - I guess I should have racked before fermentation had stopped to allow the CO2 to push the air out?

Is there anything I can do to make it last 6 months or more - maybe pasteurise it or would that ruin the flavour?

thanks for you help

Jeremy

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 17:49:49 »
What I've found is that second-use plastic bottles are fine for relatively short term storage, but not for longer term.  It may be that the seal on the screw cap can never be the same the second time around.

If I want to keep stuff longer than a week or so, I'll use glass bottles and new crown tops, which seal well almost every time.

But to be honest, for our brewing, we tend to make a batch, let it condition, and then drink it while the next batch is being made.  Once a beer (or cider) is ready, it doesn't really benefit by being kept for months.

On the subject of bulk storage and racking, why are you so wary of letting air in?  Provided you're working with clean equipment indoors, you shouldn't run much risk of spoilage.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal