Author Topic: Elderflower Cordial  (Read 12077 times)

trevody

• Not So New ...
Re:Elderflower Cordial
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2004, 22:50:58 »
High Debs
Glad to hear you are enjoying the champers, if you want more alcohol you would probably have to turn it into a wine by fermenting it out and so loose a lot of the fizz. :o

Elderberries 3 lb
Sugar 31/2 lb
Citric acid 1 teasp
Water 1 gallon
Yeast and nutrient

Strip the berries from the stalks with a fork, crush them and pour on the boiling water cool to about 210C then add the yeast and nutrient and acid, leave for about three days, stir each day.
Strain through a fine sieve onto the sugar, the first fermentation can be quite vigorous so leave room at the top of the jars and top up after it has died down abit.
Let it ferment out and then bottle and keep for at least six months, this one does get better with age.
This was one of the first wines that I had a go at and did not realise until a few years later how well it had turned out, it seemed quite harsh, but was very nice at Christmas as a mulled wine. ;) ;)

One that I hope to try is elderberry and runner bean, the runner bean helps reduce the harshness apparently.

One point I forgot is that this wine is best made and stored in coloured glass demi johns and bottles or kept out of the light as it can loose its colour.

Enjoy ;D ;D
Twist to open

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2004, 09:47:24 »
Hi debs,
 the cordial is half gone  already :P , unfortunately by the time we'd got some plastic bottles the elderflowers were over boo  >:( , but they're turning to berries -hooray  ;D

Trevordy thanks for the recipe -I really must bottle last years. Interesting about the runner beans -let us know how it turns out.

Jeremy

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2004, 22:30:34 »
How's the cordial?  Two bottles in the freezer, one in the fridge, and another slipping slowly (?) down, with gin, ice and water.

It's taken me some considerable time to eliminate the typos!  :) :) :)

Don't think the kids are going to see very much of this harvest --- :)

All best - Gavin

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2004, 22:52:37 »
 :'( Tis all drunked!  However, on Gavins advice, a bottle is tucked up in the freezer for Christmas.

Note to self, make more next year...or give less away!  ;D

Sarah V Bertram

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2004, 23:16:50 »
I love sloe gin, but have you ever tried Damson gin? Even better, I think. I drink it neat in winter, in little port glasses inherited from granny, looks really pretty, tastes amazing, and warms the innards on a cold day! One year I saved the damsons that had been infusing, and used them with the goose liver and other stuffing ingredients - to make stuffing to go with Goose - fantastic. You can't use sloes for anything afterwards which seems a waste. Tip from friend ( a farmer) freeze damsons first before infusing, they split in the freezer,(expansion of water) and then it saves you all the bother with the bodkin stabbing them, and the resultant sore and stained fingers for the rest of the week. Sadly our old elder tree is looking a bit the worse for wear - so no elderflower cordial or champagne for us at the moment!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2005, 12:20:54 »
Ooops - citric acid.  Sorry - I'd forgotten that bit.  :(

I'd scribbled the recipe down from somewhere, no idea where now - and I too have not found citric acid.  I just add the juice of a second lemon - seems to work.  Correction - it works well!

All best - Gavin

I found some for 45p (100g) in a chinese supermarket, brand Rajah so I guess Indian supermarkets would likely have it too.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
Re: Elderflower Cordial
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2005, 22:55:08 »
Can I ask a really basic question please?

In the recipe with 20 flower heads, citric acid, lemons and 3.5lb sugar, it says skim then leave 5 days stirring twice daily.

Er, is that skim out all the elderflowers etc just leaving the liquid?

moonbells (just starting first ever batch and contemplating doing champers too)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2005, 12:34:10 »

No moonbells, just skim surface if any scum has formed. Stir morning and evening for 5  days then bottle.

Mine is already made and being drunk at the mo :D

Debs

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2005, 12:37:55 »

No moonbells, just skim surface if any scum has formed. Stir morning and evening for 5  days then bottle.

Mine is already made and being drunk at the mo :D

Debs

Oh good! Didn't think so, but it didn't elaborate and I thought I'd better check!

thanks Debs!

moonbells

Viks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2005, 12:56:40 »
Citric acid can be bought from Wilkinsons, look in the home brew areas

sueshamen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2006, 15:56:22 »
Bottled our first batch of cordial today then staraight away had to sample it......one has to make sure it's not poisonous.
Mixed with gin and tonic water with loads of ice.....yep it's good.

Got 20 litres of champers fizzing away nicely in the cellar too.

shirlthegirl43

• Not So New ...
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2006, 18:00:19 »
I am making elderflower champagne - should there be bubbles before bottling?

Thanks

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2006, 19:53:18 »
No!

shirlthegirl43

• Not So New ...
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2006, 20:27:33 »
Thanks for that.

All bottled now - should it be kept in a dark place?  Have it on the kitchen worktop at the moment so I remember to check whether they need 'releiving'!!!

How long do I wait for it to be alcoholic?  tried some of it as there was a bit more than would fit in the last bottle but not enough to warrant another one!  Quite sweet but definately tastes of elderflowers!!

Thanks again, Shirley the Impatient!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal