Author Topic: Which kind of berry please?  (Read 1630 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Which kind of berry please?
« on: June 24, 2006, 18:06:17 »
click on pic to enlarge.

I found this bush whilst big game hunting (I knew there were raspberries of the usual kind to be had) on the disused part of our allotment site.
Are they Loganberries or another kind.? I feel a bit daft asking, but can't find a picture in my books.
Smile, it confuses people.

Vez1

• Half Acre
Re: Which kind of berry please?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 18:11:45 »
They look like my raspberries but with more foliage, they could be tayberries though. Someone more knowlegable than me will tell you. ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 18:26:45 »
They are much bigger and longer than the usual raspberry and the bush is much more - bush like. Nothing like the canes in my garden. :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 19:26:41 »
Are the stems as nastily thorned as Blackberries?
It does look a bit like a loganberry, but they tend to be more like blackberries in growth habit. Those look more like a raspberry in the way they are growing.
Gardening is the great leveller.

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 22:37:36 »
They look much like my tayberries, but there are scores of these hybrid berries.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 08:13:39 »
I have a tayberry bush but it is quite a way of fruiting this year. Will look at it closer today but it looks very similar to yours

two sheds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:20:47 »
looks exactly like the logan berry on my plot, and is in the same stage of berrying....what do the berries taste like? Unfortunately cant remember the variety ???

Julie

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 21:33:06 »
Looks nowt like my loganberry, except for the berries......... :o

Tayberry?  ???
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 21:45:18 »
The berries do look very loganberry-like. Come on Emaggie, give us a clue! is it thorny? where on ther stem is the fruit located - at the top only, or along the stem? how long has the new growth (the growth without fruit) this year grown? Have any ripened enough at this date for you to taste? Some of these questions will help to answer yours :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 22:22:11 »
I am a bit vague,aren't I?  ??? I need to go up again to have a better look and take a better photo. Couldn't go today,but will tomorrow and bring back some better clues.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 14:51:49 »

Here we are again  :D The bush is very like a blackberry bush,ie: prickly stems, the fruit seems to be mainly at the top and is ripening now.Bear in mind it has been allowed to grow wild for 2 years at least. THE FLAVOUR is sublime..........almost a perfumed taste- quite different to the raspberries on the bush behind it. The fruits are twice as long as a normal raspberry as you can see in the pic. Whatever it is, I'm going to try to transplant a bit onto my own plot eventually............oh,the flavour............ :P

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 16:47:32 »
Yes I think so, thanks Gadfium and everyone else. Must have a plant or three of my own by next season.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal